Low Water Shut-off

Reaction score
I have my pond all set up and my water is crystal clear (pics later). But Sunday I got a scare. I was still experimenting with my piping and had not glued some of the fittings yet when, while I was gone to town, the main pipe from the submersible 3600gph pump popped apart. When I returned I found a trickle coming from the return pipe and my fish swimming in about 1.5" of water at the bottom of the pond. Thankfully, the pump, on the bottom had not succeeded in completely draining it and I didn't lose any of my 17 fish; but it was a close call. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but what is an economical shut-off valve I can use to turn off my pump if such an event occurs again? BTW, I glued the pipe. :)
Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tractor supply sells one and best way is google them for your area as lowes and home depot sell them and you can get them on e-bay .I used one of those sights on the net that does price compare and finds you the cheapest price and the are pretty good for anything

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep that's the one and I got it with a 25 % percent off coupon from there add and it was cheaper as it was on sale .I needed another one for my other pump .I think harbor frieght had one also that was cheaper .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you plug the pond pump into the back of the plug in for the float switch .Only thing your power source has to be close so the float can go in the pond

Reaction score
I like the switches that are enclosed, so bio film and crap can't jam the switch. I've never used the one at the Tractor Supply, looks like it might have moving parts exposed to the water, don't know and they don't stay, and no brand name to check. It also doesn't say if it's "Normally Open" or "Normally Closed". Kind of hate to assume.

I like this one at Grainger. Enclosed switch, says that it's "Normally Open" which is what you want, 10-' cord, handles plenty of AMPs and a lot less $$$.

Since float switches can fail, my first preference is to raise the pump to near the surface (after the skimmer basket) and send pump output to the bottom. Same or better water mixing and no chance of draining the pond. After I moved the new owners hired a pond professional to maintain the pond. He saw my setup a "knew" the pump had to be on the bottom. Couple weeks later the crap filter he added came apart, drained the pond and killed the fish.

But that design requires a certain pond design, so the float switch is the only option in more common pond setups.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't understand that one why does it say 9 dollars and the ones on the side of the page look the same and are 35 dollars .Looks really like a toilet bowl ball they used to use ,at least thats what it reminds me of .I guess that one being cheaper would be good .For 9 dollars not bad .I don't have a skimmer and I keep my pump hanging from a pipe about 2 feet from the top and this gives me around 2 feet under it or more depends on how full the pond is .I'm cheap so price is good but just wondering why it is such a good price .

Reaction score
$9 is the close out price...if they still have some. Regular price was a lot higher.

The $35 one is the replacement. Still cheaper than the Tractor Supply one I think. And Dayton has been making float switches for a really long time. I don't know anything about the Tractor Supply one, no brand name at all.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked at mine and could not find a brand name on it .I looked at it and it does move but I clean it just in case .Supposed to get my security camera's next week while I am away so when I come back I will be putting one by that side of the house so I can see the pond on the monitor and I will be adding a lock so no one else can view what the camera's see .I don't want hackers to see what I see and robbers also .It has a built in warning system on it to let you know if it has been hacked .Run all the wiring in a pipe in the attic this way if mice happen to get up there they cannot chew the wires .Plus make it easier to find the wires .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh man, That is scary, Im sure the fish were confused as hell :profile: They just opened up a Tractor Supply Store on Hwy 77 unless you have one closer to you.

Ask a Question