Low water

Reaction score
Country
United States
My water level is getting very low ..can I add water. I have fish in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! I'm in northern Illinois - a bit of a warm up heading our way, thankfully!

A few more details about your pond - how big, how old, what kind of fish, how many? And PICTURES! We love pictures!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have gold fish.. about 20 of different sizes and age..my pond is about ten years old..it's only been in ground for five.. it's a small kidney shape.. doesn't hold many gallons ..this is the first time it's gotten low in winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, don't forget to add dechlorinator if you have chlorine in your tap water. I use powdered SAFE. Many kinds available.
Thank you, if I add the dechlorinator to the tap water..it Should be alright? What about the temp of water that I am adding?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can just run the hose water right into the pond. Add your dechlor. right into the pond as the hose water is going in. It will be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. Just add like you normally would! Hopefully you have a hose somewhere that isn't frozen!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may have a big temperature swing also .I keep a tank of water in the basement so i can pump from it if needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
you may have a big temperature swing also .I keep a tank of water in the basement so i can pump from it if needed
Thank you Sissy, I was a little worried about the temperature of the water, I do have a heater in the pond. I have some water jugs in the house,they are room temperature, so maybe it be too much of a shock.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just take them outside and let them sit and if your pond has ice it should not matter about the temps of the water since the fish will be near the bottom .You can add it slowly also as the water hits the air temperature it will cool down any way .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just take them outside and let them sit and if your pond has ice it should not matter about the temps of the water since the fish will be near the bottom .You can add it slowly also as the water hits the air temperature it will cool down any way .
Thanks Sissy, I put in one gallon today but it's going to take a lot more. I never had this problem before. Hopefully I won't again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used water from my shower head Just took the head off and hooked my hose to it 1 winter when I had a leak but I have well water so it was cold and does not need treated .I have a tap in the basement but my basement door was frozen closed and added water from the shower until I could get the basement door open

Ask a Question