Lowes and Homedepot Pond Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
While getting supplies at Lowes I noticed they had pond plants in what looked like styrofoam cups wrapped in plastic. I assume they are bulbs that are OK to be all dried out. Just wondering if anyone has purchased them and if they were viable. I am getting my quaranteen tank setup for the fish I plan to add to the pond when it is done and was thinking if these were good, I could start them in the stock tank I am setting up. Thoughts?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did you happen to notice what the plants were? I think those are usually iris and/or water lilies. I got some lilies my first pond season (6 years ago) and one is still going strong! But, IDK, this late in the season.....I would question how long they have been “sitting out.” You could always buy one and see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I bought two of them for each of my flowerbed water gardens this past April. Keep the reciept. Lowe's is very good about the guarantee. I purchased: Nymphaea Sioux and Chromatella. Both are growing in baskets with media rather than just the coconut bag they came in.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Years ago I purchased a couple of those water lilies and chucked 'em into our little pond and they did outstanding. I had lovely blooms the very first season. Although it was so long ago, I don't remember what time of year that I had purchased them or what type they were.

This past March I bought two more lilies (one a Sioux, and another that I lost the tag for), as well as a black gamecock. It was just days after Lowes had set up that product display, so pretty much every cup I picked up had moisture inside and/or greenery already popping up. I placed all three into our pond, just as they were, even though it was still cold out. As soon as the weather started warming up they all sprouted, and all are still doing well. I shoved a little piece of (no copper) aquatic plant fertilizer into each coconut ball/pot too.... The gamecock didn't produce flowers this season, but the stalk looks great and I will be potting it soon. I did pot one of the lilies, and I'll pot the 2nd. whenever I can find another container. Neither of the lilies have buds or blooms yet, but that's most likely due to my partial shade location. I'm just happy for the pads, and so are the frogs!

But just as others have mentioned, at this point in the season, I might be leery of purchasing any cups that look like the contents have dried up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I have two that I got from Lowes when they first put them on the shelf. Plopped them in the pond in their coconut basket. They are doing OK, and have each bloomed once. Well actually one of them has bloomed 3 times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got some pond plants from home depot online. They all did fine except one. I posted pictures on a drifter thread a while back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
While getting supplies at Lowes I noticed they had pond plants in what looked like styrofoam cups wrapped in plastic. I assume they are bulbs that are OK to be all dried out. Just wondering if anyone has purchased them and if they were viable. I am getting my quaranteen tank setup for the fish I plan to add to the pond when it is done and was thinking if these were good, I could start them in the stock tank I am setting up. Thoughts?
I bought one this year in may it finally bloomed and is growing well

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
8BB622B1-7871-4C93-9672-515AD2D12894.jpeg
8DF3F7B2-3473-449B-9E8D-564813C83480.jpeg
I’ve tried it twice, the one I bought at the end of the season didn’t do anything, I’d left it in the coconut bag, turned to mush. This year, I bought it earlier in the season, my Souix is blooming beautifuly, smells amazing, and is potted in media. I do get in my pond to smell my lillies and remove dead leaves, catch fish to remove the extra babies, and just zen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
1533942019572-845679453.jpg
Hello I got some clearance plants from pond mega store online. Like you I was late getting my pond finished. Here is a picture of the plants that arrived four weeks ago, and last week. The water Lillies that arrive are already grown into a plant. I got two more last week also grown into a plant, they are all winter hardy and doing great. I now have four colors, and each grown out lilly was between 16 and 18 dollars 40 percent off clearance
20180707_105902.jpg
1533942019572-845679453.jpg
15339426942861764051475.jpg
. Two of them in the pictures I only put in last week.
20180707_105902.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Tara - Looking good!

Question: What is the plant in the bottom left corner of your 1st. photo? (Sorry, I'm a newbie to aquatics!) Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
MajorDan, this is a good time to get some end of season lilies at Lowes. Keep your receipt because they might guarantee growth. I am attaching three images of Lowe's lilies that are blooming in my water garden and porch ponds. Good luck!
Stephen

Attachments

• Nymphaea x 'sioux'  in porch pond..JPG
    Nymphaea x 'sioux' in porch pond..JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Nymphaea Chromatella in the watergarden.JPG
    Nymphaea Chromatella in the watergarden.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Nymphaea X  'yellow chromatella'.JPG
    Nymphaea X 'yellow chromatella'.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 188

Ask a Question