Macomb Mihigan Ponder

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Hello All, My Name Is Mark And I'm A New Ponder, I Built A 500 Gallon Pond As A Mothers Day Gift, Ive Since Learned 18 Inches Is Not Deep Enough To Winter My Fish In,so Ive Already Began The Redo On The Pond. And Built A 450 Gallon Pond In The Basement For The Fish To Winter In.i Look Forward To Learning From You More Experienced Ponders,and Maybe Making Some Friends To Boot.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I WILL POST SOME PIX IN THE GALLERY, THE WAY IT LOOKED, THE PROGRESS ON THE REDO,AND THE BASEMENT POND THEY ARE CURRENTLY RESIDING IN.IF YOUR INTERESTED I HAVE SOME VIDEOS OF THE POND ON YOUTUBE UNDER THE NAMES "KOI PONDS FIRST SEASON" AND "KOI MOVE INSIDE FOR WINTER" MY YOUTUBE USERNAME IS "nightstalkerrc"

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oops! sorry 'bout that "UPPER CASE" thing, didn't realize!!!! I'm not real computer savvy,so i will post pond pix when i figure out how. anyhow best wishes to all, and may your holidays be merry and bright.

Reaction score
Welcome Koiguy, I have a small pond that is 24" deep and the fish winter over fine in it. I keep air going all winter and keep it covered never lost a fish in there yet. Been 17 years now. Decide what you want then go waaaaaayyyyyyyyy bigger!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well,i wanted to go 3/3.5' deep,on the redo, but the builder saw fit to use my back yard as a dump for the subdivision, and went as far as to allow a cement truck to dump its extra in our utilities trench, i found this out at 2 feet deep.our phone and electrical run under the pond at 3 feet deep. but i built up the ground there for a pool years ago,and decided to build a pond upon its removal, so our phone and electical lines are encased in concrete. anyways the pond now is 24" deep and 10' by 13' oval,(egg) shaped. our michigan winters are unpredictable, so next year i will leave some goldies in the pond,and see what happens.but now they are quite happy in thier basement pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I was pretty proud of this pond til I saw pictures of ponds in galleries online, I hope it to be allittle more impressive next year. what do you think?

Reaction score
Hey koiguy,
Good job on your pond! I think just about everyones pond is "under construction". Us ponders never seem satisfied with what we have. We always want bigger, better, deeper etc. The best advice I've ever been given is to decide what size pond you want and go waaayyy bigger!
Happy Holidays!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads