Made a mistake yesterday with purchasing a new fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a pond with 4 large Koi (about 9-10lbs each) and 6 Comets. I went to the pond store and wanted to buy one more fish. I saw a fish I liked called an Oranda and spoke to a worker at the pond store. I explained to her what kind of fish I already had in the pond, the size of the pond (fairly large) and if the Oranda would work well with what I already had. She assured me the Oranda would be great. When I got the Oranda home and after I aclimated the bag to the pond and finally released him I knew he immediately hated the environment. One comet immediately started bothering him by chasing him around. I thought maybe the pestering would stop but evidently it didnt. This morning when I went to feed the fish I could not find him, dead or alive. When I researched it this morning I saw that goldfish may pick on the Oranda's and the Oranda's may have trouble getting food while competing with the quicker goldfish. I wish I didnt take the worker at the pond stores advice and did my own research prior to buying the Oranda. I wasted 60 bucks on a fish but worse off hes probably dead. The only hope is I didnt see him swimming, floating or sunk so maybe he was hiding in a good spot under a rock or something. Would the other fish actually eat him? The Koi and Comets? I hope hes still alive and the other fish learn to accept him...What other fish would work well with Koi and Comets? I would like to get a hardy cool fish that will work well with what I have and also live through the harsh north Jersey winters...thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your fish may be hiding - not uncommon for a new fish to do. How big is your pond?

We have koi, shubunkins, comets, fantails, plain ole pond mutts - they all live together in peace. Everybody eats, everybody swims.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your fish may be hiding - not uncommon for a new fish to do. How big is your pond?

We have koi, shubunkins, comets, fantails, plain ole pond mutts - they all live together in peace. Everybody eats, everybody swims.

Hi. Its approx 23'x18' and approx. 3.5ft deep

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bet it is hiding until it gets used to the environment. I had some fish I never saw for weeks, one day they started showing up.

Reaction score
I have those little round goldfish in my pond too, with koi and comets - all sorts of a mix going on in my pond.

One of my fat guys is always the first guy to get to the food. He doesn't go hungry. He's clearly the smartest of the lot and hears me walking up, he's also the friendliest and will swim up to my hand. I probably have about 4 of those fat round fantails in my pond, no problem competing against to the koi, goldfish and a tilapia (long story why I have him, but I can't catch him and he thinks he's a koi now, so I just let it go).

I have also thought that a bird got my fish and months later I get a glimpse of one I thought had been eaten by the bird, but they were just hiding out. Result: Too many fish in the pond because I thought I was losing them to a bird. LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just recently "found" a fish that I hadn't seen for 10 months! Brand new to my pond last July, quickly disappeared. Heron sighted soon after so I chalked his disappearance up to that. Last weekend -- *poof* -- there he was! I know EXACTLY how you must be feeling now. Pretty sure he's still around and will come out when he's ready to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We lost a little fish for almost 9 months. Put her in the pond in August and didn't see her again until the following May.

We also have a chubby round fantail that holds her own with the big koi. And she's very trusting - I was in the pond the other day trying to catch some babies (TOO MANY GOLDFISH!!) and I could pick her up in my hand over and over again. Either that or she's even slower than she looks! This is year five for her in the pond, so she's doing OK for herself!

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have Orandas and other fancy goldfish with my koi in my pond. Most people argue that you shouldn't keep them together, but my fish seem to do just fine, even the "extreme fancy" goldfish like my ryukin and moore. They made it through the winter fine. The Orandas that stores sell are often rather small, so I've sure he's just hiding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I've definitely had the same experience. Newer and smaller fish tend to hide for awhile. I've gone many months thinking I'd "lost" a fish, only to have it reappear out of the blue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a pond with 4 large Koi (about 9-10lbs each) and 6 Comets. I went to the pond store and wanted to buy one more fish. I saw a fish I liked called an Oranda and spoke to a worker at the pond store. I explained to her what kind of fish I already had in the pond, the size of the pond (fairly large) and if the Oranda would work well with what I already had. She assured me the Oranda would be great. When I got the Oranda home and after I aclimated the bag to the pond and finally released him I knew he immediately hated the environment. One comet immediately started bothering him by chasing him around. I thought maybe the pestering would stop but evidently it didnt. This morning when I went to feed the fish I could not find him, dead or alive. When I researched it this morning I saw that goldfish may pick on the Oranda's and the Oranda's may have trouble getting food while competing with the quicker goldfish. I wish I didnt take the worker at the pond stores advice and did my own research prior to buying the Oranda. I wasted 60 bucks on a fish but worse off hes probably dead. The only hope is I didnt see him swimming, floating or sunk so maybe he was hiding in a good spot under a rock or something. Would the other fish actually eat him? The Koi and Comets? I hope hes still alive and the other fish learn to accept him...What other fish would work well with Koi and Comets? I would like to get a hardy cool fish that will work well with what I have and also live through the harsh north Jersey winters...thanks in advance
Did you ever find your little guy ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Methinks, with the size pond you have, he is hiding. I have two blackie goldfish and they are tough and strong, but I never see them until my one fatty fantail is laying eggs, then they are all over her. I even debate their worth since I cant enjoy them swimming. Ive had them about 5 months and they still never swim openly in the pond.

Ask a Question