Made a new amphibious friend!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have been hearing these guys most of the summer, but could never find one — there is usually a chorus of 3 or 4 around the pond and inside the turtle habitat. I thought I was hearing Fowler’s toads......until I caught this little fella tonight and was able to ID him!

Meet an Eastern Narrow Mouthed Toad! Apparently they are extremely common — just my 1st time to see one! Funny, but when I looked it up......they call it a toad-like frog. So is it a toad....or a frog!

Cute little guy, about 1-1/2 inch long. And they eat ants! I have a massive carpenter ant problem in the turt hab, so very happy to welcome these ant-preds!

979F0515-B9C4-4729-B37E-9142C9669EB9.jpeg

1st shot: iPhone on macro, and right in his face. Other 2 shots with and without flash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I say toad due to his feet. But who knows, maybe he is a hybrid between frog/toad. I just found a young bullfrog in my pond, sure hope my goldfish are too big to fit in his mouth!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great addition, may he (or she) eat tons of ants.
Probably a male. I heard 4 or 5 very separate and distinct “calls” going on that evening. One was at the edge of the pond, in fact under a liner fold. Was actually able to sneak up on it! And “me too” on the ants! I released it where I found it, but now wish I’d placed inside the turtle habitat!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was out after dark last night trying to see some meteors and was scared out of my wits by a giant bullfrog CROAK! I initially assumed it was a psychotic killer coming to murder me (always my first thought) then thought - "Wait. That was a dang FROG". haha! It was extra dark last night so I couldn't find him - I'll have to go out with a flashlight tonight and introduce myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reminds me of being in the WalMart garden shop last summer. A teenage boy was watering the plants when a frog let out a croak under a bench somewhere. That boy was scared and said loudly "What was that"? I told him and he said he had never heard a frog before. Too much time on his computer and phone I think??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Too much time on his computer and phone I think??

Methinks you are right on that one! "Never heard a frog? Are you new to this planet?"

My school has a vegetable garden - my desk looks out on it so I get to enjoy watching everything grow. A girl - this is a high school - asked me the other day "what are those red things?" I said "tomatoes" and she said "people can just GROW those?". Good lord.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I have 3 big frogs now or maybe more! Yesterday when we had that hard rain falling I saw one of the frogs flying out of the pond like mad, Every jump he took was about 3 ft high and he was moving fast. He was heading for cover in one of my gardens by a shed. Can't blame him as the pond water was really taking a beating by that rain! We hardly ever get rain like that!

Ask a Question