Major crisis in our pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
This Monday morning I went out to the backyard to check the pond as I always do only to see to my horror that I had lost probably 1600 gallons! There was about a foot or so left. I immediately saw the problem and cleared it. The outlet pipe on the Skippy filter had become clogged with a bunch of algae and other muck. I saw that I lost one of our remaining two 16 year old iridescent gold koi which did not get enough water.

I quickly began to fill the pond with two garden hoses and dechlor as it filled. The main pump had dropped too low in the pond, something I missed over the winter, but the other pump which feeds the stream died. I have already worked out a plan to forever prevent this from happening again (I hope) I have a float switch coming as well as a replacement pump.

I am going to look at a way to convert the 4 inch discharge pipe to a semi spillway. I need to replace my koi, but something THAT size is cost prohibited. All the goldfish survived and everything s okay now.
I have not posted here much lately but that doesn't mean a lack of interest. Illness, surgery, travel, etc.
Thanks for reading, John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put in low water floats on my pumps .But my outlets are also on switches that are located inside the house so if I see something wrong on the cameras I know to switch them off .But the switch's work .They are not cheap but worth every penny .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Thanks to you both. During this abysmally wet winter I have not ventured out much - plus I have been sick off and on since October. I guess I will have to suck it up and get out more often. If this had been deep in hot summer weather, the outcome would have been much worse when adding really cold water to a major refill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Sorry you lost one of your koi. :( Now that really cold weather has finally hit, I feel like I'm on near-constant Pond Watch. The de-icer we were using died a death some time in the past 48 hours. I ordered a new one with rush shipping and put the old backup one into the pond to keep a hole open in the ice (the old one kinda-sorta works--it does fine until the temperature gets below about 5 degrees F, then it can't keep up).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
In the Willamette Valley Oregon, we are blessed with milder weather than you, Teemkay. The ponds run all the time and so with an occasional thin ice on the pond, there is always a hole from the water flowing. Do you live near Waukegan?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm always on pins and needle that something would happen like that in the winter. Sorry it happened for you, thankfully you only lost one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So sorry that happened to you! I actually have dreams about stuff like that happening... Replaced my old "I showed up at work in my pajamas" dreams!

Fortunately you caught it when you did and were able to fix it rather quickly. Are you feeling better now?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got my cameras on ebay and for 100 dollars for 4 of them and a little work to install them they were well worth it .I have them hooked to a wall mounted tv and I can access them on my tablet .This is a single view of the pond camera .They do really help out a lot .I don't have to go out in the cold or rain ,

Attachments

• first ice on pond  2016 jan.19th 010.JPG
    first ice on pond 2016 jan.19th 010.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I am getting over my ailments but at 70, it never seems to stop. :=( This morning I saw that the pond is losing water since Monday. About 3 inches. I filled it with our fill valve and turned off the pump to isolate the leak. In the past these leaks are simpler to find, but in Oregon during a wet winter it is harder to locate. I do not believe it is the big pond liner. I will leave the pump off for a day. Always something with a pond!

By the way, I did see some very small fish in the pond, some with odd coloring. Like a black head color and a lighter shade on the body and a different color tail.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Sounds like you may need to replace the pond liner if you are getting multiple leaks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
The liner? I do not believe that is the answer. When the pump is off the water does not drop. To replace that liner - 8' X 15' X 3' deep would be a huge deal and there is nowhere to store the fish. If THAT happened I would abandon the pond altogether. The EPDM is 45 Mil and I doubt if that is leaking, other than a possible puncture from a nutria. No, the leak might be the hose going to the filter or perhaps in the stream.

The last puncture was several years ago - from a nutria - and it was repaired. I know where it is - about 4 inches below the water line and that little 1/2 inch puncture moved a lot of water quickly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked your stock tank filter to see if it is cracked .I put both my filters inside a piece of liner that allows the water to only flow back into the pond if they leak and all the hoses run inside the liners also .Like you John I am not getting any younger and the less I have to worry about the pond the better Also check your hoses.If your liner is 45 mill it should be OK .By the way both of my sons middle name is John

Ask a Question