Make pond shallower!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all; I have acquired a home with a T-shaped, 29” deep, cemented and lined pond and am trying to wrap my mind around what I need to do to make it safer for my kids and to make it something I can keep with little maintenance involved. I think the end goal would be a shallow water feature (bubbler and/or waterfall) with little to no standing water.
I’ve been doing searches and getting snippets of ideas but I’m having trouble putting it all together. If anyone can help me out with my issue, that would be great!
Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you interested in eliminating the pond portion all together? You could do a pondless water feature and use the pond portion as a reservoir.

Share a photo and we'll have a better idea what you're dealing with! And welcome to the GPF!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the welcome! The pond is located probably right where I would want the feature, so I was hoping to somehow make it happen in-situ. The pond is 18’ on the long edge and 12’ to the T, so it’s way more than I need. Here’s a pic.
EBD8E9CC-6812-4E55-A6F8-5690AB30BDC5.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, you could easily convert that - are you familiar with AquaBlox? Some blocks, some gravel, a pump and you'd be all set. You could do some bubbling boulders or a fountain or even a small waterfall if you wanted.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hmm, interesting... I haven’t seen those yet. So, you’re suggesting lining the bottom with the Aquablox, and gravel / pondless feature on top? And the pump draws from inside the blocks?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes , the aqua blocks would hold the water area open while you place stones 6" of if not more and the water drains into the bottom of the pool . this way you never need to hook up to city or well water. You could even make a beach type area where the water drops off a fall and the kids can play

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even crates would work to save money or soda bottle holders or bread holders in stores that are plastic .I do not have pics of the bread holders .I know you can get some of them free from the places .Even those plastic pallets you can sometimes get free .Have to get pic of plastic pallet

Attachments

• 100_4274.JPG
    100_4274.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_4179.JPG
    100_4179.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 106
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the warm welcome, all! I’m going to ponder the aquablox further and maybe get a landscaper over to discuss. I’m sure we’ll be in touch!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wait till you see the price on aqua blocks . Easy pro also makes a version that i have bought for considerably less. No offence to your landscaper but also see if there is a pond builder in your area

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true landscapers are not pond builders and may not really know what to do or what it takes to do it and if done wrong you will end up paying more out of your pocket for their mistake

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey now... haha! @addy1 is right. Not only does he have great ideas, he has the ability to carry them out!
Just stuborn, the worst anyone can ever do is to tell me it cant be done !!!!
but thank you

If you saw me right now you wouldn't think i was handy with my hands my figers are all cracked from gasoline , waterfall foam caulking , water , rocks , gravel hell i can barely open a soda can right now.. but i love it

Ask a Question