Make the raccoons go away!

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay, it's been hot and I realize a raccoons got to have water but...

Info. Pond 800g, 2 waterfalls and no fish. I live in the reasonably sized city Spokane, WA. Lots of houses, lights, dogs, cats...

Last night the raccoons trashed my pond dumping 3 or 4 large rocks in, dug up my flexible tube going to the waterfall / filter and bit a bunch of holes in it. Needless to say, I am not happy. So what else is new. So how do I keep these guys away from my pond? I've read about deterrence. Motion sensor red lights, (supposed to scare them off) Do you think those work? Spread hot sauce around. Or hot peppers with peanut butter on it. Electric fence, Etc. Then there's trap and relocate. (Seems pointless, there's always more.) Or trap and kill. (No) Poison them. (Told very hard and a bad idea and besides, they're just animals.) Shoot them. (Tempting but...) Anyhoo, what do y'all think? Is there a way that works to get rid of them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
to keep my hostas (and the rest of my garden) intact, I spray a peppermint (or egg+garlic powder+hot sauce) solution regularly. The ideas is they start eating and don't like the taste and go away. So goes the theory. Maybe it will work for you. Otherwise, I think only decent fencing or electric fencing will deter them adequately. Me? My whole pond is screened in, so, no coons. Or anything else, for that matter!

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Update: The raccoons came and tore up the pond one more time before I could do anything about it. But,,, since I've sprayed water laced with Tabasco, red pepper and mint all around the pond and put up a motion sensor spot light as well, I haven't seen a raccoon one!!! Hooray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
so, current score is raccoons = 2, MrB = 1, aye? I need to get my popcorn...:cool:

Reaction score
Country
United States
my husband put electric fencing all around...on a timer...so far..so good..
he also made a gate for drive

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have a heart traps and move them out to the woods

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I doubt i would have much problem from coons as my rocks are the size i can barely move them let alone small animals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I doubt i would have much problem from coons as my rocks are the size i can barely move them let alone small animals
heh, I can just see them now; all in a line at Sh*ts Creek, waitin' fer theire snack! Or will they be by Deadman's Gulch? I forget all the names to parts of your pond...!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dead pool
sh-t's creek
hell's gate

Ask a Question