Makeover Help - Clueless

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I'm digging my way through the forum, but wanted to have a post for ideas/feedback/recommendations for our little ornamental pond. (7' x 5' x 20")

The pond came with the house and was intended to have water flowing into the top, then flowing out over a rock ledge and then into the pond. Last year we noticed that the upper area must be leaking because when the pump was on the water level would drop. I didn't see any leaks anywhere else.

So, I just had the turtle spitting water back into the pond for circulation, but the upper area wasn't getting filled anymore and the water level stabilized.

This effected the ecosystem of the pond, no doubt, and the pond turned green so dark that you couldn't see in it. I added some algaecide and unfortunately all of the fish in it died.

So I'm kind of at square one at this point. Options I'm considering: 1) Drain, refill, and keep mostly as-is. 2) Fill it in and move on. 3) Modify things quite a bit, to what end I don't know!

We can kinda do whatever we want, within reason, so I'm curious...what would you do? Pictures / examples / words / I'm happy to hear/see whatever you might be thinking and appreciate your patience as I learn more about how to properly set up, own, and maintain an ornamental pond!

Attachments

• IMG_6314.JPG
    IMG_6314.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_6315.JPG
    IMG_6315.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 323

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
the upper pond, looks like it had plants in it, which was acting as a filter for the pond. Once that was cut off, you experienced an algae bloom, due to as you said the pond being thrown out of balance, nutrients still being produced with nothing to consume them. Most on here aren’t fans (myself included)of algaecides as it is just treating the symptom not the cause. As you learned unfortunately, killing the algae isn’t always a good thing, as the algae dies it can consume the oxygen in the pond killing your fish.

If it were me I would redo the pond making the upper pond into an upflow bog, that dumps into the lower pond. Look at addy1’s bog thread ( stickied at the top of the pond construction forum), it explains how to build one it’s fairly simple and very effective natural filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for pointing me to that thread. Haven't read all of the posts, but did read his. Based on surface area, mine is 20% so that should be adequate for total filtration. I will, however, have to clean mine up as it's probably just full of muck and not peat rock. Does it look as though the plants I already have will suffice if I transplant them once I clean things up? Looking like this will be nice job for the weekend...I'll also drain the pond, clean it, then refill it will well-water/rain then get it pumping again.

Attachments

• IMG_6318.JPG
    IMG_6318.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! So today I cleaned out the pond and releveled the water fall ledge and filled the big with pea rock.

I think it’s coming together nicely, but I’m getting just a tiny trickle out of the big area, I’m supposed to have the hose from the pump in the rock, right? And I’m guessing this means I’ll need a bigger pump?

Also, I was pondering an aeration pump to keep things well oxygenated and bacteria cycling through the pond. Good idea or not needed?

Finally? Any recommendations on fish to put in and when can I add them? I’m filling with well water that is very clean, but might be a little acidic. I’ll test it in a bit...
1F4617CC-0DC5-4C36-AF6F-76491E5BB507.jpeg
37DFE9DF-9045-4994-9B19-E581BC1782AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where are you located? If it freezes in winter, nix the fish. A good freeze will kill the fish. If not in a freeze zone, or one that might see a skim of ice at most, I’d say stay with small fish. 20 inches deep won’t be enough if you get bigger fish for them to hide from predators like raccoons, heron, etc. another option would be to remodel it, either make it deeper, or add caves to hide in, and add water lillies and fancy tail goldfish, as they are smaller.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I moved the hose from the pump to a different location and more shallow and it seems to be doing better now. That said, how deep do I want the hose that goes into the bog?
You want the water to enter the bog as low as possible. Which gives it more gravel to help filter it.
What size of pump are you using? What size is the tubing that is entering the bog, from the pump?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You want the water to enter the bog as low as possible. Which gives it more gravel to help filter it.
What size of pump are you using? What size is the tubing that is entering the bog, from the pump?

I’m not sure about the pump’s flow rate, it’s old and I didn’t buy it. I’ve attached a pic. The hose is 1/2” ID.

Thanks!
A0F8EA2D-51DE-4BB6-B724-228DEDA3D177.jpeg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks small, get a gallon jug see how long it takes to fill it up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good idea. It took 26 sec for a gallon. So roughly 138 gallons per hour? Is that math right/close???

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes at least I think so............lol

That is a small pump, you need a bigger one. You can get one that is 700 or so gph pretty cheap. Laguna makes good ones.

You pond is about 436 gallons, based on your measurements.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes at least I think so............lol

That is a small pump, you need a bigger one. You can get one that is 700 or so gph pretty cheap. Laguna makes good ones.

You pond is about 436 gallons, based on your measurements.

Thanks!

I looked up Laguna pumps and feel like the maxflo 960 would be a good match, circulating my pond a little more than twice per hour. That said, I was surprised to see that it has some just decent ratings. Anyone else able to vouch for them or have an alternative you’d recommend?

Laguna Max-Flo 960 Waterfall and Filter Pump for Ponds Up to 1920-Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079WZGWE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ov4ZCb3YSENC6

Ask a Question