Making a fountain a feature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

Firstly i'd like to introduce myself and ask a few questions. My name is Paul Wilde and i have a successful building company in which we deal with lots of various building projects as well as maintain properties down here in Sunny Devon.

Recently we were asked to rejuvenate a fountain in a gated community which had over the past year had lost it's sparkle and was beginning to look a tad dreary.

One area we had located within the fountain was a crack, so we drained it down, removed the centre, repaired the crack, Epoxy resin the base and fitted a filter system to the pump and filled it back in.

All this was very well until we had some very hot weather and the level of the water dropped to the point the pump was struggling and someone turned it off and never told us. We got a phone call 3 weeks later to ask why our lovely fountain was now a greeny/brown colour and beginning to look very unsightly.

Upon arrival, we cleaned the fountain as best as we could, filled the levels back up and it's now running well again, if a little murky, but i don't wish to add to many chemicals to it as we now have newts in there.

The residents have asked if we can introduce some plants to the fountain to make it more appealing and visually better and so i have spent a little time looking at various water based plants to introduce but from what i can tell, the ones i have seen don't like to be splashed, which is a little difficult as they will get splashed due to the falling water from the fountain.

Does anyone have any idea on what i could introduce to make the bowl area look more appealing to the eyes of the residents without a huge maintenance cost for us in the upkeep ( time is money and like most folk, they want to save on spending! )

I value your input as i'm sure you are all passionate about this subject and hope you may help in educating and allowing us to turn this fountain into something more for the residents

Thank you
CtmoS5LWYAAyQpw.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Too shallow for Water lilies. Just barely deep enough for emergent marginal plants if planted in 'squat' pots. These pots are only 5" to ^' high so water will barely cover the top of the pot. Stay away from fast growing marginals like rushes, reeds, and some of the iris.
Some floating plants can be grown in these pots also such as Snow Flake, Bog Bean, etc.
Splashing water only affects water lilies.

Ask a Question