making a koi hideout ?

Reaction score
I was hoping for some ideas on making a underwater koi hide out.
I wanted to get a 12 inch pvc pipe but in my area it seems impossible to find.

any idea's would be great !

Reaction score
How big is the pond and the fish? My fish like swimming thru cinder blocks but Koi would soon outgrow that. What about milk crates with the sides cut out? What are they hiding from? Not many caves etc in their natural habitat.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I saw this on a you tube video...

He recommends getting friendly with the local construction sites and see if they have any remnant/garbage culverts. Good idea too...

Reaction score
It's good to give them shade area and hiding areas from raccoons, herons, etc.

Most people do them with flat stone and rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I built a Island in the middle of my small pond after a few fish came up missing one night, 2 Cinder blocks, Granite and 12 bricks later I built an island they can swim under and access from all sides.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3245]

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Building supply places sell chimney flue liners, terra cotta, 6"x6" or 6"x8", about 2' long. Take a coarse file and round off all rough edges. I guanantee it'll stay where you put it and not float around!
John

Reaction score
sweet ideas! thanks everyone :)

We have an Eagle living in the woods about 100 yards from our yard....so I don't want to give him my fish, when we finish our pond.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
How big is the pond and the fish? My fish like swimming thru cinder blocks but Koi would soon outgrow that. What about milk crates with the sides cut out? What are they hiding from? Not many caves etc in their natural habitat.
our pond is going to be from waterfall to end 11 feet
and 9 feet wide.
we are at 44 inch deep right now but building up to make it 4 feet.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
At that depth most predators can't get to the fish anyway. I don't recommend cinder blocks, Even when well seasoned they can be quite abrasive. I've seen many a long tail Goldfish and Koi get split when there were cinder blocks in the pond. I can't say they were the exact cause, But there are many other potions. Milk crates are one, they can be put in as they are and are great hide outs for smaller fish to retreat, or they can be modified so that larger fish can use them as well. I use them and stack rock on top to make a long shelf. In the Koi only pond I use 8- 10" black drain pipe(Blends very well on the black liner so almost impossible to see from the surface) cut into 36" sections, Tied them together and placed a large flat rock on them to hold them in place. Very seldom do any of the larger fish use it but the smaller fish are almost always asleep in them when we turn the lights off at night. Another suggestion I use this spring, on ebay there is a floating plant net that is about 30" across and floats. Put a piece of foam in the middle and use it as a floating Island, many plant choices but plants are just the beginning, Use your Imagination and the possibilities could be endless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
At that depth most predators can't get to the fish anyway. I don't recommend cinder blocks, Even when well seasoned they can be quite abrasive. I've seen many a long tail Goldfish and Koi get split when there were cinder blocks in the pond. I can't say they were the exact cause, But there are many other potions. Milk crates are one, they can be put in as they are and are great hide outs for smaller fish to retreat, or they can be modified so that larger fish can use them as well. I use them and stack rock on top to make a long shelf. In the Koi only pond I use 8- 10" black drain pipe(Blends very well on the black liner so almost impossible to see from the surface) cut into 36" sections, Tied them together and placed a large flat rock on them to hold them in place. Very seldom do any of the larger fish use it but the smaller fish are almost always asleep in them when we turn the lights off at night. Another suggestion I use this spring, on ebay there is a floating plant net that is about 30" across and floats. Put a piece of foam in the middle and use it as a floating Island, many plant choices but plants are just the beginning, Use your Imagination and the possibilities could be endless.
Personally I wouldnt use any of the pipe ideas should be used as there is always the possibility of some damage to koi.
All koi owners will tell you that in a panic they will fare power across or towards the bottom of a pond (anything to get away from a preditor).
However the larger the fish the more possibility of very serious damage as such floating islands are easily made and the fish will use them to hide under as they would in a natural pond.
Larkin seems to be the only other person that has picked up on this.

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question