Making a pond heater

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi there.

Im contemplating making my own heater solution to my 9000l pond. What im thinking is converting a 800l wooden quaratine tank i made earlier, insulating it and converting it to a heater.

Ive been looking at both 12vdc and 230vdc heating elements ranging from 300-600w and also regular fully submersible 500w aquarium heaters.

Question is, how many watts would I need for ig to be effective heating up 9000 liters. I want to achieve about 15-20c, when the outside temperature drops to 10c or below.

Im curious if anyone else here have made a diy heater for their pond and what the result is.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I have no idea how to help you with this, but wonder why you need a heater for your pond?

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi Mmathis, and thanks.

Well, I breed koi and goldfish, and I usually keep them indoors at about 20-22c which they do prefer growthwize.

If i drop the temp too much the growth gets stunted and in my line of work that is not so good. Norway has harsh winters and id like to keep the temp so they grow all year long.

Its mostly small fish i have outside in the pond (3-5cm)

Reaction score
Country
Norway
My breeders are kept at 15c and i turn up the heat when its time to breed, only my offspring is kept above 20c

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1599593441284.gif
@andreeb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! I don't think heating your almost 2400 gallon pond any appreciable amount is practicable with 300, 500 or 600 watt heaters. For example, the submersible 500 watt heater sounds like an aquarium heater. It will run continuously which it is not designed to do and quickly burn out. Unless your pond is insulated, your electric bill will be astronomical. I have used a Laguna (looks like a UFO) pond heater (which is somewhat of a misnomer) to keep a hole in the ice. It works well. Also, pond breathers are very effective to keep a hole in the ice.

Ask a Question