Making a pump/biofilter in one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello! I am making plans to upgrade and make a bio filter for my pond next year. My fish somehow survived without it last year and since they are doing so well I need to make sure I keep it that way.

I have a total pond biofilter box with bio balls, fine and coarse filters and I'm adding bags of activated charcoal to. I plan on cutting a hole on the long side of the box and placing the pump right against it with the tube that holds a coarse filter (but without the filter) on the inside between the bio balls then seal up around it. The pump I have is a Beckett 600gph. My pond is preformed and for the life of me I can't remember the exact amount of gallons but I'm thinking around the 113 gallon size.

Does anyone think this would work? Other ideas and opinions are welcome as I have until spring to set everything up.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Activated charcoal looses effectiveness over time and will require replacing every few weeks depending on extant water quality.
What is the purpose behind modifying the pump/filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am familiar with carbon and how often to change it with aquariums I've had in the past. I feel like that's an element I want to add to my pond, and to my it isn't much extra work.

Last year I used no type of filter, only a pump that pumped water to a waterfall and spitting duck. It had a coarse black carbon type filter that slid on and off the end to catch debris. That's the same pump I want to use to add to a filter box I have from previous years. The pump in it quit working but I still have all the proper filter media from it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If i correctly understand you, it should work providing that the flow rate from the new pump is too much for the filter box. What was the flow rate of the previous pump that came with the filter box?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no not @Meyer Jordan, I for another will miss you greatly as you and I really hit it off with each other I had a great respect for your knowledge as did you for me, us both striving for even greater knowledge.
Mind you old friend you could never understand my love of books over your love of the internet for knowledge.
Iv'e just told Val and she is stunned by the news knowing that I thought so very highly of him

RIP Good buddy

Dave 54

Ask a Question