Making my pond shallower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just moved into a house that has a round pond in the garden. Approx 250 gallons. I want to make the pond shallower (Ideally no deeper than 1/2 foot) . What is the best way of doing this? Should I fill the pond with shingle?
DSC_0406.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not sure what "shingle" is - can you explain?

Do you plan to keep fish? If so, you want to avoid any kind of substrate that is deeper than an inch or two as it can trap debris and cause a build up of toxic gas that can be dangerous to fish. This appears to be a fiberglass hot tub converted to pond... is that correct? Could you somehow create a platform that bridges the two seats and make an "artificial" bottom, allowing the deeper portion to still contain water but prevent anyone or anything from falling in? Just my first thought...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I like the idea Lisa gave. Something to span across those things that look like seats.
Wood?
If you don't want any water to exist below the platform you could span it with wooden planks, then plywood on top of that and a pond liner over that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593637005970.gif
@S Farrelly
The idea's above sound good to me. I suppose you could fill it in w/sand or dirt and then add a liner on top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could install pondless waterfall crates or echo chambers. Here's an example of one: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Water-Gardens-EcoBlox-Matrix/dp/B003LM7CMS

Place something like that in the bottom and then cover the top of it with rocks.

You could also just not fill it all the way, and stick some ornamental plants on the shelves. If you're really artistic, you might be able to pull it off.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

Why do you want to make it no more than a foot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all your suggestions. That's a great help. It does look like a hot tub, I agree! I can only think that the "seats" are for plants. I wasn't looking to have fish in the pond, ideally just a shallow pond with a fountain but I'm open to ideas. I like the idea of putting some sort of plastic mesh across the seats and rocks on the top. Great idea. I might go with that. I'll be sure to post pictures once it is finished. Thanks again!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I personally would leave it as it is. Unless you have small kids you are worried about. That would make a really neat garden pond with minimal work. Put some plants on the shelves, add a few minnows for mosquito control, or fan tail gold fish (stay small easy to care for) . You could just have a aerator or a really neat fountain going with enough plants the water will stay fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what "shingle" is - can you explain?

Do you plan to keep fish? If so, you want to avoid any kind of substrate that is deeper than an inch or two as it can trap debris and cause a build up of toxic gas that can be dangerous to fish. This appears to be a fiberglass hot tub converted to pond... is that correct? Could you somehow create a platform that bridges the two seats and make an "artificial" bottom, allowing the deeper portion to still contain water but prevent anyone or anything from falling in? Just my first thought...

Shingles is what we in UK alternatively say small stone gravel :)

Ask a Question