Making this harder than it has to be

Reaction score
Hi all,..I've been away from the forum for a long time,...moved into a new home and had to leave my pond behind.....it's the only thing I miss about that old house.
Anyway,....it's time to start digging! I can't wait any longer. I've done several of my own ponds in the past,..never big enough,...always wanted more. Now I have almost 2 acres to work with so I can do this right. I've decided on concrete as I have always had a hard time getting a liner to lay the way I wanted and they only seem to last about 6 or 7 years. So I'm going to get a back hoe in here and dig a pond. I've put lots of thought and research into what I want,....then I re read some of the posts,......keep it simple keeps coming up over and over. SO,..I'm re thinking a few things. I'm hoping that some of you with more experience can help me with my thought process before I start digging.

I was all set on a bottom drain.,...my original thought was to plumb with PVC up to a DIY rubber maid filter (which I've had great results with in the past) and out to the water falls. Then I got to thinking,...my plumbing and electrical will be buried under the concrete of my pond,..what happens if something is clogged? What if the pump fails and I need to replace it? I like the idea of keeping stuff (equipment,.hoses) out of the pond,..but maybe a retro type drain would be better? I'm wondering if its possible to create a trench in the bottom and side of the pond for the pump and hoses to "fit" into? I plan on building a kidney shaped pond,..25ft X 15ft X 4ft,....I like to keep a more natural look with plants as well as fish and the landscaping around the pond.
So,..can I just dig a hole,...cover it with 6 inches of concrete, seal it, fill it with water and add the pump to the bottom and still be happy? Can't wait to get started,....counting on you nice folks to jump in and remind me of what I'm forgetting.
Thanks,..pics to come soon I hope..:)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome JustMe. Are we supposed to be mind readers if you were here before?
Please post your location in the UserCP.

Reaction score
ok,..I'm about to chicken out on the huge concrete pond. I think I will start with a smaller (10ft X 6ft X 3ft) to see if I can even do this concrete successfully.
Has anyone poured their own concrete? The only time I've ever worked with concrete was a patio slab, with forms,..it was very messy but not technically difficult. I've moved from that house but it appeared to last just fine for the 6yrs I lived there.

I spoke with a contractor who does large commercial water features who assured me that if I'm wanting the freedom of making curves and a more "freestyle" shape that I should skip the forms and do this by hand. He suggested a "7bag mix" and 4-6inch walls and floor to prevent cracking during our hard freeze winters. I can then seal the concrete with which ever fish safe product I choose. Has anyone tried this? I'm concerned about getting it all formed/poured in one shot,..ie not trying to pour new concrete to something I poured the day before. Is this something 3 adults can do in one day or am I in way over my head?
I've never used a bottom drain and always thought I would put one in on the next pond. I've about decided now to use the retro type as it is easier to get to when I need to clean etc. If I understand correctly,..the drain will sit on the bottom,.then the pump will attach near the drain,.tubing to my Skippy type filter then to the falls. In my head and on paper this all sounds so simple,....am I missing something? Thanks in advance to those who take the time to offer guidance.

I just finished a pond build with bottom drains, which you can read about here. It could not have been easier to install them. On my previous pond I had the Aqua Art Retro drain and it was great for a small pond. However, you still have to plumb it through the liner on the side and gravity feed to your rubbermaid filter to get it to work properly. Some folks have successfully managed to get it to work with the pipe up and over the pond edge, but that didn't work for me. I kept getting an air bubble at the hump over the pond edge so I would lose suction. I bit the bullet and popped a hole in the side and all was well.

Slow down and think this through before you abandon thoughts of a great pond.

Reaction score
Okay. Back up. Hold on.

Concrete is a huge endeavor, and an expensive one. If you buy excellent quality liner such as this place offers. You will have a nice product that will last you a very loooong time. Do not go with thinner than 45ml liner and you will be fine.

Don't go smaller, you will instantly regret it. Heck, you are already saying in your first post that you regret your other ones were too small. Do the size you want to do in liner, and you're done.

Reaction score
You know,..every single time I offer advice to others about a pond build, the first words out of my mouth are "build as big as you have room for and can afford". I know this,..really I do. I think I have my heart set on concrete because of the limitations on size and shape with a liner. My ponds are all underground and much less formal than yours. I've always had trouble getting the liner to lay the way I want it and the folds are always an issue in cleaning. I keep picturing in my head how smooth and clutter free concrete would be! I'm trying to post a photo and it isn't working so well.

Attachments

• Yard.jpg
    Yard.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Yard2.jpg
    Yard2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
If you're settled on concrete and can swing the cost, by all means go for it! But don't go smaller--save your pennies another year and go as big as you've always wanted to go.

They do make liner that is 25 feet wide by the way, and you can buy it by the endless yard.

Reaction score
Thanks Koikeeper. You are right. I have a contractor, who happens to be a friend of a friend,.who is going to come out to the house and look at my plans and give me some advice. I have the room and I want the pond. I know if I go small I'll be ready to dig again soon. I would like to go ahead and build the big pond with a Gazebo behind it. My last pond was small but in my front yard right next to a large porch. We so enjoyed sitting on the porch above the pond and watching the fish.

Attachments

• IMGP0090.jpg
    IMGP0090.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 388
Reaction score
LOL,..my husband says you must be a politician,...what you were really thinking is "My goodness, she doesn't want a pond, she just wants a garden!" There really is water and fish under there. This photo was taken right before I shared plants with my fellow pond keepers. For some reason my other photos wont upload. When we moved I had to give away 5 8-10inch Koi that had been in the pond since they were less than 3inches. Those fish were my babies :zombie:

Reaction score
LOL! Nope, not a politician. But having just gone larger myself, and knowing endless folks that the minute they are done with the pond utter the words "shoulda gone bigger"....well, you know.

Your photos might be too large perhaps?

Reaction score
I think maybe my photos are too large,...but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to make them smaller.
I'm sure there will always be something I want to change about my pond. I think that's part of the fun of having a pond in the first place. I have lots of room here and the more pond space I have, the less I have to mow! I'm having someone come out this week to find all my underground utilities and then the planning will become reality!! I really miss that excitement of the first Lilly bloom and watching the pond come to life every spring. I'll get there!

Reaction score
You just open them up and make them smaller! Resize or compress them.

Right click on a photo and choose "Open With" then choose "Microsoft Office Picture Manager". When that opens your photo go to your tabs on top and choose the one called "picture". Pick "Compress Pictures." On the right of the screen you'll see a little menu pop up, and you pick Web Pages and hit OK right below it. You then go back to FILE and hit SAVE, and poof! Your photo is now compressed and is able to upload.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help,....I'll try again

Attachments

• Fish.web.jpg
    Fish.web.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 344
  • pond web.jpg
    pond web.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 302

Ask a Question