Male to female ratios in nature....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe some of you who breed koi or goldfish can chime in, but I was wondering what kind of gender ratio you would normally find in nature -- that is, if we weren't culling and/or selecting for gender.

I look at my goldfish.....30+ fish. I have no idea whether I have males or females, and I've never witnessed a spawning, but I still get baby fish. Well, to say I don't know what they are isn't exactly true as I'm pretty sure I have one Ryunkin-type that is a female, but other than that, they're just all FISH in the pond. I can't tell anything from their shapes, either, as they all look the same [except this one Ryunkin]. But surely, out of 30+ fish, she isn't the only female.

So, I was just curious.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, @bettasngoldfish, but what I was more curious about was the natural ratio of males to females. But next time I suspect spawning, I will look for breeding stars (hope they're not too hard to see on a goldie....koi are probably more obvious).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I watch them chase all the time, a few times caught the spawning frenzy. I have see the bumps on the fish off and on, which is males, but only on the bigger fish. The small ones it is hard to see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, @bettasngoldfish, but what I was more curious about was the natural ratio of males to females. But next time I suspect spawning, I will look for breeding stars (hope they're not too hard to see on a goldie....koi are probably more obvious).

Yea sorry Maggie, I don't know the answer to your question :oops: I just thought the info might help you figure out what you have in your own pond ;)

I have seen breeding stars on my mature males, never on the younger/smaller ones. If you check the link I provided you can see a couple photos of them on a shubunkin. They also talk about other ways to determine what sex your goldfish is but I think the breeding stars are the easiest way.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

This is another one of those 'It Depends' questions. Different fish specie have different ratios. In some species all of the fry are born either male or female, with certain individual fish changing sex as they mature. Another factor is the age of the fish. Female fish live considerable longer than male fish. The mortality rate for males due to age is quite high in some species. And finally, there is some who suspect that environment may play a big part in the sex ratio in a particular body of water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Interesting info Meyer :bookworm:

I have no idea on any of that but if I were to guess male over female living longer I would guess the males would live longer. I really don't have a clue why I think that I just do :LOL:

In captivity they likely do, but in the wild, female longevity has been proven. In one specie of Flounder, at age 1 year males comprise slightly over 50% of the population, by year 6 this has been reduced to less than 10% of all 6 year old flounder.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In captivity they likely do, but in the wild, female longevity has been proven. In one specie of Flounder, at age 1 year males comprise slightly over 50% of the population, by year 6 this has been reduced to less than 10% of all 6 year old flounder.

Wow, That's a big difference in numbers. Any idea what is happening to the male population?

Ask a Question