Mallard couple has been spending time at my pond...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
These ducks have been spending time in and around the pond lately. So far they've left the fish alone (although clearly the fish hang near the bottom when the ducks are in the water). Do I need to worry about disease?

aaa%20IMG_9582_zpsvoh8sotl.jpg

aac%20IMG_9592_zpskoopc4ng.jpg

aad%20IMG_9581_zpswe1jaieo.jpg

aab%20IMG_9575_zps5lwnidkj.jpg

I spent some time trying to take a photo that captured both the ducks and the fish. The above photos are the best I could come up with given my limited patience and photography skills.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They may nasty up your pond a bit, those fish I would think are to big for them anyway.
No I wouldn't worry about disease all in all.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now since I owned mallards its like a medium level of cuteness for me (rofl) but what I have always wanted is some kind of Wood Duck, HOLY COW are those things amazing. But, you only have them In summer, even as farm animals they migrate... but 'come back' idk if I am willing to pay 200$ for 1 wood duck and have the odd that he got shot and eaten....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do I need to worry about disease?

Probably not, but under no circumstances should you feed these ducks. They are prodigious 'poop' producers and this added organic matter will quickly tie up the Oxygen in a pond resulting in fish mortality. Even without feeding I would monitor the Dissolved Oxygen level in the pond and be prepared to provide aeration at whatever level is necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Probably not, but under no circumstances should you feed these ducks. They are prodigious 'poop' producers and this added organic matter will quickly tie up the Oxygen in a pond resulting in fish mortality. Even without feeding I would monitor the Dissolved Oxygen level in the pond and be prepared to provide aeration at whatever level is necessary.

Thanks for the info. I definitely am NOT feeding the ducks and don't encourage them in any way. They have another place where they bed down and (presumably) poop. I've only seen one dropping but I'll continue to watch for that.

I have a large waterfall and two bubblers so hopefully there's plenty of aeration but a dissolved oxygen meter is a good idea. They seem expensive unless you have a low cost recommendation.

Thanks!

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Duck poop isn't, solid. Well it is but for the most part it would be like diarrhea to us.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No issues at my pond and they have been coming for years. I do have a high pond turnover rate with the pumps and stream with aeration also. You will not always see the poop, they go in the water also. They never bothered any fish. The fish actually swim at their feet. I agree do not feed if you do not want them. I feed them cracked corn and they do know it is there now.

Mom and ducklings in our pond by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Ask a Question