man with a plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks - first post on here so hello!

I'm planning on building a rectangular, roughly 12x6' semi raised pond using 440x215x100 blocks, backfilled for the sunken part, and then 140mm wide blocks for the upper part (eventually cladding the outside). The pond will be 4ft deep so there will be 3 rows of blocks sunken and 3 rows above ground. I'm planning on using a box welded liner and having infinity style windows on both short ends and one longer side (the front).I'm hoping to go for both a bottom drain and skimmer and will be incorporating a central chamber along the back wall for a spillway return and I am also considering including some anoxic baskets in this section plus some plants, maybe edible ones (not sure yet). I'm not 100% on the filtration yet but figuring it will include UV, solid settlement, mechanical filtration... I can build a small bunker a few metres away which will be hidden but accessible for this kit. I'm planning for the return to split into 3... 2 jets coming through the back wall and the spillway. I'm also planning on building a pergola above the pond and the roof will be lined with twin wall polycarb all year. In autumn I am planning to add additional panels to completely enclose the pond... creating a greenhouse of sorts for the winter. I am also hoping the structure will allow me to harvest rainwater to deal with top-ups and maybe even water changes. I'd also like lights in the 2 front corners. Stock will initially be several large and hopefully good quality shubunkins but if it runs successfully for a few years I might replace these with half a dozen Koi down the line.

Comments, observations and suggestions on the plan are welcome... I'm open to ideas. Hope to post a detailed sketch-up diagram shortly also. Unfortunately I have a pinched sciatic nerve to deal with also so this isn't making progress easy... but I will get there! I have quite a lot of aquatics experience incidentally. I've had ponds before that have been successfully (although not this kind of pond really). I also edit a UK reef-keeping magazine indeed I've been into the marine side for a good 15yrs now. Really enjoying learning about this whole new side of aquatics :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for all the welcomes folks... some comments or advice would be great also.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick sketch-up diagram... this doesn't show final cladding or capping, or central rear 'riser' that I am planning which will incorporate plants and I was hoping for some anoxic baskets too but not sure if I will have enough space.
screengrab.jpg

Instead of digging down and installing a flat concrete pad, then building up the walls using 100mm block to ground level, and then 140mm above, I am now planning on just digging a 12" concrete collar, then building the above ground walls on top of this using 140mm hollow blocks with rebar going down into the collar. I will then dig down inside and use sand/membrane under the bottom as going with a box liner.

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looks interesting, the only thing that may get old is cleaning algae off the viewing windows to the pond(at least it would for me). Also, would lean towards an upflow bog in the central chamber over anoxic plant baskets, then could do away with UV.

I am more of a minimalist when it comes to my ponds, as I have some critters and “fowlr” tank in my house that require attention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Viewing windows would be brilliant. I like your pond lay out. I wonder what the fish will think looking out the window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks folks.Jhn, how does having a bog filter over anoxic baskets affect UV use? I'd have thought that you'd be able to use UV on either to be honest?

The only thing I'm still a bit unsure about is attaching the windows to box liner although I've seen it done on YouTube with gold seal etc. I guess I just cut a slight recess in the block all the way around each window, maybe attach a frame of some kind, then silicone the liner to the frame (with the pond filled almost to the bottom level of the windows), then silicone the window to the liner. I'll have a good 2-3 inch bead on the 3 submerged sides and will add a final additional bead along the edges. Just not sure how to hold the window in place as I don't want to drill through. I guess water pressure and the bead attaching to the frame might be enough. Also worry slightly about the liner being pulled when I add the final bit of water.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Most in ponds use the UV to prevent green water, which is fine if you are putting in a DKP. A well planted bog will prevent green water, by starving it of available nutrients. However, if you feel it will take away from the look of the pond then I could see using a UV.

Personally, I think plants enhance the look of ponds, while adding the benefit of tying up nutrients in their mass as they grow.

Very cool design you have, like the idea of adding/removing panels during the colder/warmer months. May eventually do that over my one turtle pond, which is partially raised above ground.

Ask a Question