map turtles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys have just been given 2 5 yr old Mississippi map turtles they seem reluctant to climb on platform and bask under the lights as my y/belly sliders do, any comments would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance Mike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mike either @Marshall or @Mmathis akaTurtle mommy would be the best people to have a chat with about this they are our turtle experts, I see your from Norwich Norfolk.
It's a small world I get all my nets from a company by the name of Norfine Nets who are based there

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mike either @Marshall or @Mmathis akaTurtle mommy would be the best people to have a chat with about this they are our turtle experts, I see your from Norwich Norfolk.
It's a small world I get all my nets from a company by the name of Norfine Nets who are based there

Dave
Thanks for that Dave, looking around on here there dont seem to be many members from our part of the world?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mike we Brits are taking this site by storm of late my friend both the Administrators come from Manchester Becky and Ian theirs @slick myself @Dave 54 @Andy41 who lives in Austria but has family here in Plymouth and many others then we have our American and Canadian Cousins from across the pond I even think we even have an Australian or two .
I'm your man for fish health issues @Meyer Jordan is very intelligent on most matters about fish enviroments, water quality issues and natural type pond enviroments.
Koiguy1969 is a succesful breeder of koi carp and is a mine of information
@crsublette is also a mine of information who of late has been looking into Aquaphonics .
He comes from Florida, so between us all we have a mine of informaton going on with GPF from Turtles to goldfish and koi as well as indoor tropical tank keepers @bettasngoldfish is a betta keeper as well as a great goldfish keeper as is @Mmathis.
Check out the articles section its very comprehensive and covers most subjects

Dave

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Hi guys have just been given 2 5 yr old Mississippi map turtles they seem reluctant to climb on platform and bask under the lights as my y/belly sliders do, any comments would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance Mike
My map turtles seem to have a dislike of basking docks because they are static but if you can get a floating "log" basking platform that should work alot better. I have 7 map turtles and they all refuse the platforms and only use the fake logs.
Here is a link for the ones I use:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...RpLFOqQROEMh6fkdVDDahw0e_BuPEXPyE8aAsmb8P8HAQ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Turts tend to haul out to warm up, if they want to stay in the water I'd guess the water is some cosey temp...

Ask a Question