Marginal Plant -- Irises after pond restoration...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So I remade the pond, and had it done deeper. The pond "had" two margins with irises filling the margins to the limits. The irises were sitting on bricks, rising the roots partially above water levels. They were doing fantastic.

Restoration happened and the pond was made deeper. The irises were taken off. I put them in large 15 gallon containers (and most are still there now and still alive as the rain comes down they are actually growing leaves). The construction crew cut them in semi halves and one third of each back in the pond..... without the bricks. So now the roots are almost fully beneath the water. One of the shelves have done well so far produced leaves ( but the roots only occupy half the shelf). The second shelf also is similar but the leaves are small and weak so far.

I'm kinda worried about them to be honest... prior to restoration those things used to bloom leaves like crazy. In fact the ones outside the pood in the 15 gallon containers are blooming faster than the one in the pond (they get more sun if that is a factor).

Should I try and put the bricks underneath them to lift the roots water edge level or higher? Are irises not supposed to have their roots fully underwater?

Ask a Question