Marigolds vs Marsh Marigold

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Stupid question, I read about marigolds repelling mosquitoes and I know from reading here that marsh marigolds are good bog plants for my zone.

Will the marsh marigolds repel mosquitoes? Will regular marigolds work in a bog?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Stupid question, I read about marigolds repelling mosquitoes and I know from reading here that marsh marigolds are good bog plants for my zone.

Will the marsh marigolds repel mosquitoes? Will regular marigolds work in a bog?

Probably not and no.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You know I have a regular marigold near my stream (it grew by itself from seed from my other plant), on the rocks and it roots went to the stream. It's not as big as the one that's in the normal ground though. So I dont think it'll die, just not as big.
But I think the bog marigold doesn't have the same smell so I dont think it'll keep the mosquitoes away.

Try plant lemongrass in your bog ;) They LOVE water. The easiest way is to buy one from the grocery store (that didnt cut the bottom part off) then stick it in the bog, at the water level is fine but not below, it'll grow like crazy and smell good and is good mosquitoes repellent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You know I have a regular marigold near my stream (it grew by itself from seed from my other plant), on the rocks and it roots went to the stream. It's not as big as the one that's in the normal ground though. So I dont think it'll die, just not as big.
But I think the bog marigold doesn't have the same smell so I dont think it'll keep the mosquitoes away.

Try plant lemongrass in your bog ;) They LOVE water. The easiest way is to buy one from the grocery store (that didnt cut the bottom part off) then stick it in the bog, at the water level is fine but not below, it'll grow like crazy and smell good and is good mosquitoes repellent.

Will it survive in PA zone 6-7?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lemongrass? It'll die back for sure but I had one that came back after a pretty cold winter here in NC so I think if you cover it in winter it might come back. But it's a very easy and fast grower so in fall you can cut a stalk and put it in water inside your house for next year :) It can take a pretty cold days and I still saw mine alive last week but I think it might die back soon (will be in the 20s for a few days at night here).

Find one that still have the bottom end of the stalk like in the picture, then you can cut the top part out to about 2-3 inches long then stick it in the water, roots will grow from the hard part there...
lemongrass-stalks-332x480.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
yes you need full sun for it to flourish but itll still grow in at least 4 hours of direct sun light.

Ask a Question