Marine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We’re newbie’s to the indoor marine tank world.
We are currently cycling our tank 48hours in and have introduced snails and hermit crabs to get us started.
My question is, we’ve noticed a tiny starfish on the shell of one of the snails and want to know if it’s going to be troublesome?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1674929250911.gif
@Kazbfc
Never had a marine tank, plenty of fresh water ones tho. Can't help w/the little starfish but sounds rather cool!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Kazbfc! The Garden Pond Forum has a sibling forum for reef and marine aquariums. You might try posting your question there to see if you get more responses. In any case, you are always welcome here!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Star fish are generally destructive to a reef, feeding on live food. considering your trying to establish a growing ecosystem , something that is grazzing on it is not benificial. They do sell chocolate chip stars blue stars etc but the principle is the same.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have tons of asterina stars, In my reef tank without issues. If they have a food supply they will reproduce. Also if your tank is cycling you are most likely going to lose your hermits and snails as inverts are sensitive to poor water quality, which a cycling tank will have. If you have live rock in your tank it will cycle without any additional help, just need patience. also watch any type of crab even the supposed reef safe hermits they are not, no matter what anyone tells you.

Ask a Question