Marsh Marigold

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have read that marsh marigold does better in cooler climates. That in warmer areas, it will die back as the temps. climb, but once cooler weather comes [in the fall] it will perk back up.

Does this hold true?

This is my first time to have some, and it's in my turtle bog. It has grown and bloomed its little heart out! This is the south, our temps are starting to climb now, and some of the leaves on my plants are starting to look mighty pitiful..... I sure do want it to come back in the spring.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Our marsh marigolds will completely disappear in the summer, and our temps are quite a bit cooler than yours, although it doesn't always SEEM like it! I also believe that the plant needs a cold winter in order to bloom the following spring. Do they actually grow wild in Louisiana?
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same here - when it starts to get hot (which surprisingly hasn't happened yet... it's nearly the middle of July!) the marsh marigold starts to look pretty sad. But it literally sprouted through the ice this spring! So I would say yes, it likes it cold!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our marsh marigolds will completely disappear in the summer, and our temps are quite a bit cooler than yours, although it doesn't always SEEM like it! I also believe that the plant needs a cold winter in order to bloom the following spring. Do they actually grow wild in Louisiana?
John
Do they grow wild here? Probably not. These were mail ordered. As with most plants during their first few seasons, guess I'll have to be patient :banghead: and wait to see what happens. Hopefully we'll get enough "cold" for them -- here, it's hit & miss regarding winter weather.....

BTW, these are pretty much in full sun, but have other and taller plants around them which is probably blocking some of the sunlight.

Thanks to all who have responded so far (y)

Ask a Question