Marshmallow in the bog?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did a search on this and the only reference I got was a very old post from Waterbug! I thought I was ordering a swamp hibiscus and got this. It says damp location but nothing on bog growing or pond. Anybody have this in bog or garden that can give me a clue where to plant this? I have several locations in mind but want to put it where it will flourish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is all I can find on the net

Plant marshmallow in a moist spot, ideally with heavy soil. It’s called “marsh” mallow for a reason after all. While it wants continuously moist soil, it doesn’t want to grow underwater or in an actual swamp. Ensure good drainage and avoid standing water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The name mallow and hibiscus are interchangeable.

I'd put it on the edge of the bog or pond and see what happens!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's the info that's leading me to plant this next to my cat tails. It gets all the runoff from the yard plus the water from when I flush out filters.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Think I'm going to try to get a few more of these and plant them in different places. They would look great in the butterfly garden but the area below the pond stays wet and has cattails already. I think I will keep this in a pot in the bog and see how it does.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our friends have a hibiscus right in their pond and it is beautiful. Planted in a pot with dirt stuck in the water. She gave me seeds still have not gotten around to growing one

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a water hibiscus in the bog stock tank. It did not survive winter. I have more marshmallow plants coming and I found one of my regular hibiscus had seedlings so stuck one of those in the bog. Think it is Lord Baltimore.

Ask a Question