Mason/ Leaf Cutter House

B

Burd

I put a Bee hotel out last year and it filled up fast. It was either Home Depot Lowes has this one for like $12. You can’t make one for that. They charge alot for the tubes. Come on Spring

B

Burd

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It was either Home Depot Lowes has this one for like $12. You can’t make one for that. They charge alot for the tubes. Come on Spring

I made mine for about $4 each. :)

I do like some of the ones sold in stores though, particularly the one like you have, which only has the tubes. Some of them have other compartments that end up just becoming European paper wasp attracters more than anything. I nearly bought one last autumn when they were clearing them out, but I already have 5 homemade ones so I decided not to.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for posting @Burd

I was given a huge bee house to put up, right at the end of the year. So it goes up this spring.

I put up a small one a few years back, must not have been made well, nobody moved in and it fell apart

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do bees hibernate in those houses and become permanent residents?
I have several different spices in my garden but know nothing about them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've bought mason bee houses at both Costco and Aldi for around $10 or $12. They are fun to watch. Most people have never heard of solitary bees, so it's an interesting conversation starter. I have read they are far more efficient pollinators than their more well known counterpart the honeybee or bumblebee.

Has anyone brought their houses indoors to protect them over the winter? I've read about it, but never actually done it so I'm not sure the process or the point.

@JBtheExplorer I'd love to see your homemade version!

B

Burd

The house I put out last year still has some tubes sealed. Is there still a bee in there? It’s in my garage which is heated to 62, so if someone is in there they may survive. The tubes that were used and now open I’ll clean ypthem out I guess.
Not really sure what to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen videos of people cleaning out the larvae and storing them over winter and then putting them out in the spring. Maybe it keeps predators from getting to them? Not sure... it's been awhile!

B

Burd

I’ll just clean out the tubes that looks like it’s already empty.
I’m am going to remove the other spaces in my first hotel, nothing ever went in, it was a waste of space. There was a pine one in sawdust and a place for butterfly’s, I don’t know.

B

Burd

We've bought mason bee houses at both Costco and Aldi for around $10 or $12. They are fun to watch. Most people have never heard of solitary bees, so it's an interesting conversation starter. I have read they are far more efficient pollinators than their more well known counterpart the honeybee or bumblebee.

Has anyone brought their houses indoors to protect them over the winter? I've read about it, but never actually done it so I'm not sure the process or the point.

@JBtheExplorer I'd love to see your homemade version!

I got a reaction from a few people - why do you want to attract bees by your house, lol. The bees are so shy that when you watch them they don’t like it.
Next is a bat house. We have a ton here. I like going on walks at dusk they are everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I need some bee education :) Should I provide a bee house, as these bees need shelter? Are their habitat's limited due to development?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can't answer that question specifically @Tula but the vloggers I have watched are interested in encouraging these particular bees in their gardens as they are such prolific pollinators. Also they are gentle bees that rarely sting. I would imagine that the same modern day threats to honeybees are affecting the solitary bees as well though, so it's never a bad idea to provide them with a safe haven!

B

Burd

I brought a plant in and I see a potter bee/wasp made a home. I’ll post it when I get home.

Ask a Question