Mass grub suicide in my pond?!?!

Reaction score
Yep, you heard it hear first! I recently expanded my pond to include a small slopped ledge around the edge, instead of the steep drop of the original design. I did not need to drain the pond just allowed the Fl sun to do it's work, and removed some dirt from under the soft liner before refilling. fish and plants are all fine no signs of distress from them, But the new ledge is filled with dead grub worms. I'll remove a dozen or two during my evening maintenance, and by morning there is a dozen more to take their place. I'm beyond baffled, I have searched the internet and googled til my fingers hurt, but no one seems to have any ideas as to why the grubs in my yard have decided to take up swimming.
Anyone have a clue? Has this ever happened to someone else? and what if anything can I do to stop it?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not sure, but a couple weeks back I had to pull out a few dead ones in mine. I also get worms in the stream. Maybe they sense the warmth from the water and think its a safe place.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
By the way, I would recommend changing the water on some kind of regular basis. When water evaporates, dissolved chemicals are left behind, and even though you add water, the concentration of these dissolved chemicals will increase over time.
lindseyhannah said:
I did not need to drain the pond just allowed the Fl sun to do it's work...

Ask a Question