Matala sheet before pump in a skimmer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So I saw a design of that and I thought I can do that. My pump in the skimmer goes to a series of 8 matala sheets but i still have to take out my pump every now and the even though it sits behind a basket that collects large debris that come in the skimmer.

The stuff I'm cleaning from the pump is the gross green grim usually left at the bottom Of the pond.

My thoughts that if I put the sheet it will slow down the pump speed... any thoughts?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Am I correct in assuming that you have a mag=drive pump in your skimmer instead of a direct drive solids-handling pump?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As long as you don't drop the flow through the Matala below the rate the pump pumps out, you should be OK. Some skimmers have this as an option. If you let it clog up, though your pump could run dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I posted a thread called " Skimmer Maintance" in pond construction and equipment thread that shows what you discribe. I'm not sure how to link it in this post.

IMG_0576.JPG

In addition to the Matala pads I also use quilt batting just before the pump. This gets the gross green slim you're talking about. The Matala pads are cleaned once a month and the quilt batting layer changed weekly or as needed depending on need. . Before adding this set up I was cleaning my pump often even though the pump is housed in a cage. Now I can keep the pump in the skimmer without the cage. Pump maintenance is now beginning of spring and end of fall.

Ask a Question