Matching Pump to Oase Filtoclear 11000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So as seen in my previous thread, I am new to caring for a pond and both my filter and pump have blown!

I am now having trouble sizing the pump for my filter/pond size, and have calculated lots of figures but don't know how to equate them to which pump I need to buy.

I have a Oase Filtoclear 11000 which I have now repaired and (should be), as good as new, which sits midway between pond surface and top of waterfall.

Pump which blew was an Oase Aquamax ECO 8000

Pond Size - Irregular Shape - Max Width = 5ft, Max Length = 9ft, Max Depth = 2ft (= 2,500 ltr)
I have not averaged these measurements as I think my setup is already a bit overkill anyway

Waterfall Head Height = 3ft + approx 20ft hose length (overkill) = 2ft. Total - 5ft

Width of waterfall mouth = 10"

So I have:

Oase Filtoclear 10,000

Pond Volume = 2,500 ltr

Total head Height of Waterall = 5ft

Width of waterfall mouth = 10 inches

What size pump should I get which is appropriate to pump efficiently and also through a (slightly oversized I am guessing), filter?

Some different models would help also, thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently looking at the below as I think my filter largely dictates my pump size, and I know that my Aquamax 8000 was a match for the Filtoclear 11000 (is it possible to have a filter/pump set up which is too big?):

For a 2,500 ltr pond - several goldfish, some plants, partial shade:

Laguna Max-Flo 9000
Oase Aquamax ECO 8500

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is no such thing as too much biofiltration. That being said and the fact that you already have a filter larger than the minimal requirement, your only concern is the pump size.
For a 2,500 liter pond, a 3,760 lph to 5000 lph would be quite sufficient. You would then have an appropriate water turn-over rate and a filter that should provide more than sufficient surface to meet the needs of this pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply.

I read somewhere (in the dozens of articles I have now read), that having a pump too small for the filter would loose too much low rate/power (?) to pump water to the water fall. Can you conform that a 5000 lph will work with my FIltoclear 11000, where I think I read it can handle 8000 lph?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
An aspect that you need to consider is the flow created within the pond. A flow too high will create a current that the fish will constantly be swimming against, tiring them and stressing them. It is like asking you to constantly be walking 24/7/365 and never stop to rest.
A turnover rate of twice per hour is more than sufficient to maintain water quality without stressing the fish.
It is true that this filter will handle an 8000 lph (I found one site that actually said 11,000 lph) pump, this is the maximum flow that the filter can handle without leaking. There is no minimum flow for any filter as, pressurized or not. it is a matter of water in and water out. With a 5 psi maximum pressure there is very little impedance to water flow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Meyer Jordan for the advice.

I have one last question:

If I go for the Laguna Powerjet 5000 - this also has a fountain feature. Will this feature draw too much power from the pump for my pond and filter set up, or should that be ok?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer Jordan for the advice.

I have one last question:

If I go for the Laguna Powerjet 5000 - this also has a fountain feature. Will this feature draw too much power from the pump for my pond and filter set up, or should that be ok?

It will negatively affect the waterfall flow, but other than that, it should be OK.

Ask a Question