Maturing my pond & how many fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Why a year?

I dont have good evidence but it seems that the algae on the wall of the pond really takes a long time to develop. I worry about the ability to tolerate ammonia spikes of new fish if the pond is new. That's why I would stretch the fish. I'm less scared of the pond if it has been around a year cause I'm sure the algae will compensate for the spikes.

It would be nice to see articles or evidence of that.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I dont have good evidence but it seems that the algae on the wall of the pond really takes a long time to develop. I worry about the ability to tolerate ammonia spikes of new fish if the pond is new. That's why I would stretch the fish. I'm less scared of the pond if it has been around a year cause I'm sure the algae will compensate for the spikes.

It would be nice to see articles or evidence of that.

A lot of different variables involved in responding to your post. This would be better suited to a separate thread.
Generally speaking, an algal biofilm should reach maximum initial growth in about 3 weeks given adequate nutrients, temperature and light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My two cents worth here, for what it's worth (two cents!). Your fish will grow and spawn, so I would start with way less than 35 and see what happens.
I have a floating planter that you can put bog plants or other wet feet type plants in. It shades the water like plants would and can be planted with different things according to the seasons. I root a lot of cuttings in mine and plunge pots of cyclamen, etc during the holiday season when most plants are dormant. Foster Smith has different sizes along with the lightweight soil it takes. I have had mine for twelve years and it is still in great shape.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is in shade most of the day until around 3pm where it gets around 4 hours of sun. Pond is all sorted Will be adding fish when I get a day off! Itching to get them in!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dumb question about maturing a pond/algae.....doesn't it restart every year after it dies off in the winter?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dumb question about maturing a pond/algae.....doesn't it restart every year after it dies off in the winter?
I used to think the same thing. To some degree, yes, but it's not the same as completely starting over with a new pond every year. There is always going to be some beneficial bacteria in the pond [bio-film]. There are different types, and you never actually loose them all during season changes. And I've read that some bacteria does go dormant in winter and doesn't die off, so that will crank up as the water warms. Folks living in colder climates might see a different scenario from those of us in the south, but in general.....

Ask a Question