maximum depths for marginals

Reaction score
Okay, So the pond is finally up and running - woot! At least the first part is, which is about 1500G, and measures 8'x8' by 6' deep at deepest point.

There is going to be a second section with a 200G pond, a bog garden, and a waterfall, but it won't be done until later this summer.

In the meantime, what are the maximum depths my marginals will tolerate? This pond is 4' below ground and 2' above ground. To deter raccoons and such from munching my plants and goldfish, the shallowest shelf is simply the ledge at ground level, which is 2' below the pond's edge and water level.

The tags on the plants (marsh marigold, loosestrife, cattails, red river lily) all say the crowns can be covered by 0-6" water (the cattails say up to a foot). I have this fantastic pond book that gives some more flexible ranges. Unfortunately, I've misplaced it and can't find it (driving me buggy!).

Rather than risk drowning my plants, I've got them up on these ugly wire baskets that are turned upside down (found them kicking around in the storage room). However, this is not a viable long term option. They're white, ugly, and awkward.

I'd LOVE to be able to just sit the plants on the ledge and know they're okay...

Barring that, I'd love any suggestions on how to position the plants at the right height in the water. I've read to use cinder blocks or milk crates turned upside down, but am open to other ideas...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I prefer milk crates because it offers a hiding place for fry and does not impede the flow inside the pond.

Reaction score
I use black, brown or dark blue colored milk crates so they are not as visible in the water. I cut out the sides (and file the sharp edges) so my larger fish came swim through easily. Even with the sides cut out, they are still very sturdy. I cut one down in height to sit my pump on. This keeps the pump off the bottom of the pond and the criss cross design of the milk crate acts like a filter to keep large debris like leaves from plugging the pump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great idea! with the pump off the bottom, no danger of draining the pond if there is any water diversions.

Ask a Question