May have solved part of the problem

Reaction score
As you know I've been struggling with some mean GREEN water. The UV was not working. Today, I took my net off and got into the pond. There was a lot of decaying plant matter in the pond. Leaves that blew in, lily pads and flowers. I took out more than a bucket of 'stuff'. So I'm hoping that was the problem and not that I have too many fish. I don't think its the fish, I hadn't had any problems all along. The problems started after I netted the pond and stopped cleaning it really well with the net.

First off, I need some type of solution for the net that allows me access to net the bottom. Second, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I am, I think I have too many lilies. I have the pots in milk crates so the fish don't tip them and maneuvering the net around the milk crates is getting more difficult as he pads spread out and I can't see clearly. So I had to get into the pond to net the bottom properly and parts of it were really bad.

It was so green this morning, I let out about 50% of the water before I got in so I could see a bit better. After my big clean up, I'm adding back in clean water and have the UV on. Fingers crossed that I got it at LEAST 70% cleaned and the UV can now do its job and the new water will speed things up.

I still haven't tested the well water for nitrates, but as I said, I use it in my tanks and smaller ponds and they are all fine, so I don't think its a water issue. I think this is a combo of UV light blew, net prevented me from cleaning properly, lilies are hiding the leaves.

I will update you tomorrow on if the UV has made a difference working on a mostly clean pond. I think I will get in tomorrow and move things around again and try scooping some more stuff out. Although I think I did a pretty good job today.

Any thoughts? Would all this 'stuff' cause my water to go green?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It would contribute, but proportionately decaying organic matter produces a small amount of Ammonia compared to fish.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to say yes. Any green matter left to rot on the bottom is going to cause algae. I don't know the mechanics but yes, gotta keep the pond clean. :) Glad you got all the gunk out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Priscilla though you dont have to clean up for winter in the Caymans it relly doesnt mean you shouldn't may I suggest the probable best solution to this in that you buy yourself a pond Vac to help you take care of your ponds ?
Its and essencial piece of pond maintenance that you cant simply ignore and something that has to be done o a regular basis ?

http://www.hozelock.com/garden-pond-vac.html

They are good at what they do according to my friends who dont have bottom drains and the simply wouldn't be without one nowadays , it will help you bno end o keep on top of th ponds maintenance .
Remember that your UV-C needs a regular once yearly change of bulb to help you in our fight against green water

Dave

Ask a Question