Maybe helpful for Savio filter owners ( a leak story)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
For all you Savio filter owners you may find this helpful. I was working on my pond Friday evening and noticed the pond level was down a bit more then usual. No biggie as it was warmer and very windy so I just said it was evaporation. I topped it off and called it a day. I woke up Saturday morning and the pond was down again about 3" which is unusual for my pond. I did minor investigating for a leak around no evidence. So I said maybe the wind and conditions with the stream and surface area it just was on the extreme side of evaporation. I topped it off and continued installing my cobblestone edging in the morning, while working the pond went down a little but nothing crazy but the wind continued. I called it a day as we had to get ready to go to a concert.

I went in the house got ready go to the concert and did a few other things and some time pasted. Went outside and oh crap the pond is down more then evaporation at this point, no time to do much with the concert, I put the hose in the pond (well water) on a low volume and went to the concert. All the way there I am thinking this is not good and must be a leak. It happened all at once so I was thinking chipmunk damage as I have a few that live in the rocks. So I got home after the concert at 1am in the morning and check the water level, it was down but the hose was keeping up with it fine. I went to bed and got up at 6am and starting looking for areas that may have chipmunk damage and checked along the stream edge for runoff maybe do to plant growth of something. I did not find anything all, even the chipmunk areas looked good. I put all the rocks back and at this point I am not sure what is gong on.

As I said earlier I checked or anything that was leaking around the filters which are under a pine tree, and I did not find anything at that time, so I said lets just double check everything again. Ah ha I see water on top of the filter cover, I look at it closer water s coming out of one of the screw holes on the top as I do not use the plastic screws. This was causing the water to drip off the back side which I could not see do to being under the tree easily. Now what was making my filter back up, I opened up the cover and the culprit, one of the filter over legs that hold the filter pad down came out and went into my 2" outlet causing the water to backup just enough to cause this leak but the water feature was still running so I did not notice the issue. I assume it may have came lose wit the high winds maybe tapping on the filter cover, not sure why. However the leak is solved.

So after my long winded story for all you Savio filter owners check you filters good before you move any rocks checking for a leaks. Granted it was freak thing, that the leg fell out and went perfectly into the outlet but it happened.

Sigh of relief for not a liner leak (y)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 Savio waterfall filters. Just did repairs on the one we bought when they first came out (15 years ago?). It was leaking from the weir and the gate valve drain.
We never used the screws on the lids, too much trouble but have had the lid legs come off. Ours always end up in the pond. I keep a rock on top of the lids because once the filter mat starts to clog, it pushes the lid up and it will overflow. Large rock fixes that.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We replaced the liner under the weir, 3rd time doing that. In replacing the gate valve, the bulkhead fitting started leaking. Tried to remove it to replace but even with pipe wrenches, couldn't get it loose. Amazing enough, its not leaking now! Love the Savios!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Always a happy ending when it's an easy fix! Well, easy for me... I didn't have to move any rocks! haha!

Ask a Question