mechanical bio filter pump inlet help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I purchased an extreme bio filter for the school pond, I can size the pump, but what do I need on the suction side of the pump? This will be a non submersible. I am thinking perferated pipe. I do have the waterfall for areation, but I am novice.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Perforated pipe? I believe most folks here use flex pvc or schedule 40 pvc pipe for their plumbing. We use both in many sizes and find it to be quite durable. Good luck, @Kevin Koloff! Here's a view of both materials....
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Thanks. This system I am putting together. I do have the filter, next is pump, then piping. I had thought of perferated pipe in the pond (suction line) as to pull water in a larger area than on the end as the basket with open ended pipe is.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks. This system I am putting together. I do have the filter, next is pump, then piping. I had thought of perferated pipe in the pond (suction line) as to pull water in a larger area than on the end as the basket with open ended pipe is.

Can be done, but may be harder to keep clean and unclogged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Can be done, but may be harder to keep clean and unclogged.
Thats a good point I didn't think of! My plan was to hard pipe both suction/discharge with perferated suction pipe in the pond water, now I am thinking flex with the strainer (suction side).

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Think of it this way: If a perforated intake pipe was an overall workable idea, somebody would have them for sale.
If you are going to utilize perforated pipe at the discharge,be sure that you do not create too much back pressure on the pump. Although some is good, too much will drastically shorten the pump's life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
No. On the discharge side I will increase it to 2". I will control the pressure to the filter vessel with a valve at the suction side of the pump.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No. On the discharge side I will increase it to 2". I will control the pressure to the filter vessel with a valve at the suction side of the pump.

Placing a valve on the intake side of the pump is not advised. This can quickly cause overheatiing and premature pump failure. Control valves should always be on the outflow side of a pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
What the valve will do is act as a bypass. It will be pressure control, and bypass water back to the pond. Holding off on it now, as i need $, but also I have several new fish!

Ask a Question