Mechanical Filter Media

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 55 gal drum and have the Bio filter media figured out, but I am looking for Cheap/Diy Mechanical media to place on top. Has anyone ever used that 'EggShell Foam' that is used on beds? It seems like it might not let the water though, but I am not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Thank you I was curious if anyone used those furnace filters in ponds. I used them in my aquarium, but something I used made them MELT!! they literally broke down. I think I will use the furnace filters for a layer, Thank you..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was surprised my local home depot used to sell that kind of filter john and for some reason no more .You can use buffying machine pads they come in course finer and super fine .I found in walmart window air conditioner filters at 97 cents a piece and yes they are thin but they sure do pick up a lot and they sell them up to an inch thick .I got the thinner one just to try it out and some say closed cell others say open cell .

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 003.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 003.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 349
  • pee house pond 2012 001.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 001.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 296

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and bonus the duck makes it and he makes duct tape so it has to be good :razz:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Closed cell foam will not work in a filter, since water will not dflow through it. It is used in upholstery, where the closed 'bubbles' give a nice, soft seating surface. Open cell foam has small channels that permit water to pass, while restraining dirt and such. I don't know WHY they would sell closed-cell foam for air conditioners, as air couldn't pass through it!
John

Reaction score
I use a natural air filter found at Walmart. It's green and pretty open, it collects all the big stuff and has some decent surface area for biological filtering. The only problem is it comes in 2x2 sheets and I have to cut it down with utility shears. Did I mention it's made out of wood? It's kind of like trying to chop down a tree with bowie knife. It's doable, but it's no fun to do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried those and after awhile i found little green fibers floating all over my pond and plus they are kinda stiff and hard to work with .The used to sell a nice blue one at home depot and for some reason my home depot does not carry them anymore

Reaction score
I used furnace filters in my bio filter and they were great! We bought them on a large roll at Home Depot but the problem is that they only sell them during the colder months here (hence when you would use a furnace) so we had to plan ahead. They will break down over time (like all media) but never had them melt 0-O

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy I could only find the blue ones at lowes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my lowes does not sell them and i have gone to 5 lowes from NC back to VA and none of them seem to have them anymore ,not sure why they are not carrying them .Home depot used to carry them and now don't either .

Reaction score
The way my filter box is set up any fibers that break loose will be sucked into the next finer layer of filter so they could never get back out into the system. After the filters are spent they crush down in under the pressure from the pump, I can't imagine a circumstance where fibers could free themselves from that. They are super stiff and a pain to work with though, but I've had such good luck until something goes wrong for me I can't see meddling. I'll most likely cause problems if I make a random change at this point.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
my lowes does not sell them and i have gone to 5 lowes from NC back to VA and none of them seem to have them anymore ,not sure why they are not carrying them .Home depot used to carry them and now don't either .
Maybe they cause cancer if you eat them?
John

Reaction score
My lowes sells the blue washable air filter pads for about 6$. Are those the ones your talking about? I was always worried not knowing what it was made of. I think mine melted in the aquarium was from the other chemicals that were added to the aquarium and they did not agree with the filter pad.

Ask a Question