Mechanical filtration!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! First post here. I'm relatively new to this whole "pond thing" but do know a lot about aquariums. Before asking my questions let me introduce my pond. Its a nice kidney shape, around the 3000 gal mark. I have a submersible tetra "debris handling pump" I ran a only Skippy on it for the last 2 years and it was a total failure. I had such a HUGE debris problem I just completely cleaned my pond out. Now, I'm left with nothing. (I'm very understocked at the moment, so water quality is OK. I'm building a nice bog filter that will sit next to the pond to handle the biological load as my fish grow. However, I now know that I MUST put a mechanical filter in there first so I don't prematurely clog it up.

So, what would be the best DIY mechanical filter. I'm ADHD with a full time job and a life, this thing must pretty much take care of itself. Ideas? I saw some DIY sieves, things with brushes, pads, socks... What is the easiest to keep up?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, Traci! Except that I don't have a full-time job (or a life, LOL!), our situations are almost identical -- and I'm still trying to figure it out! For a long time I had my pump (also a debris-handling) encased in either a crate or a 5 gal bucket (with holes) with filter media to act as a mechanical pre-filter. I thought the results were just "OK" with that set-up, so I decided to let the pump be w/out the pre-filter for a while. Needless to say, after about 6 months, I'm back with my DIY set-up.

I have a small bog and next year we're going to build a 2nd, larger one and eventually do away with the Skippy. One thing I'm considering is a type of settlement chamber. Water from the pump goes first in there, then somewhat cleaner water will flow into the Skippy. Then, with a bottom drain in the SC tank, all I'll have to do is dump the collected debris from that tank, with [hopefully] less gunk to empty from the Skippy. I don't expect it to be perfect, but better than what I have now.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
3000 gal is a lot to filter with just 1 skippy , a 2nd one would help a lot

What size pump are you using ?

Reaction score
Where is all the debris, is it in the bottom of the pond or in the filter? Also where is your pump located. My pond is almost identical 2,900 gallons and slightly kidney shape. I have several very trees directly above it so leaves are a problem in the fall but I have zero problems during the rest of the year,

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Most of us use netting or screen to keep leaves out during fall. If you have a big tree right over the pond you may want to make one for yourself.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would spring for a manufactured skimmer appropriate for a 3,000 gallon pond. I don't think that I have ever seen a DIY skimmer that really functioned efficiently.
A settlement tank is designed to capture suspended solids, but does little when it comes to floating debris. Spend the money on a good skimmer and don't look back.

Reaction score
Country
United States
"suspended solids" are what I have an issue with. Its small plant chunks, general plant detritus and fish poo. My 200g skippy turned into a ball of " smelly brown goo" in the course of a year even though I don't have a bunch of fish, but do have a bunch of plants in the pond. I cleaned out out last year and this year, but bleh! I think after a while it just stopped up and wouldn't process any more, so it started settling on the bottom. I don't have a huge "floating debris" issue. I don't have any trees really close by and have a net on for the fall blown in leaves. My pump is the Tetra Debris handling pump, 4000 gph GPH I think.

pond skimmer hmm? I could make one of them! It could help with the plants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"suspended solids" are what I have an issue with. Its small plant chunks, general plant detritus and fish poo. My 200g skippy turned into a ball of " smelly brown goo" in the course of a year even though I don't have a bunch of fish, but do have a bunch of plants in the pond. I cleaned out out last year and this year, but bleh! I think after a while it just stopped up and wouldn't process any more, so it started settling on the bottom. I don't have a huge "floating debris" issue. I don't have any trees really close by and have a net on for the fall blown in leaves. My pump is the Tetra Debris handling pump, 4000 gph GPH I think.

pond skimmer hmm? I could make one of them! It could help with the plants.

You evidently need a 'settling' tank.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Turned into smelly brown goo
Do you have a way to back flush your big skippy?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I opened up the drain and sprayed it out. but that only did so much. once a year I got all the media out and sprayed it down. it was a mess. Part (most?) of my issue may have been my selection of media. it was AC filter media, it started breaking down, I just trashed the stuff. I'm really short on space and am building the bog in the spot the skippy sat.

I could do a settling tank instead of the bog. I don't have enough space for both, would just slowing down the water work or is the "whirlpool" a necessity? The spot where my pond is next to my house and about 20 x25 with my pond being 12x20 in the middle. I've got house on 2 sides and retaining wall on the other 2. I could put some filtration under the porch, but its not very spacious and hard to work under. My box I've built for the bog is 84"x30"x18" and will sit next to/above the pond.

Ask a Question