Mega RAIN

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow - I have a new experience (after 21 years of ponding....)

I always buy about 3-4 water hyacinths. They never grow very fast due to the shade in my back yard. Last year my neighbor behind me took out a big tree in her back yard. Now I have green water - and GOOD GRIEF - my water hyacinths grew overnight about a FOOT! The whole pond top is FULL - packed - and I removed the net because I don't think any heron could even SEE into the pond. I have no filter but 2 aerators going. The water level has gone down inches and I have refilled it from the hose twice. Put in some liquid barley stuff for the green water - and I think it is too crowded to see any fish. I know that when autumn gets going, the hyacinths will die. Should I take some out now and see what fish I still have? (I bought a few goldfish before this giant growth spurt.) It has been a bad year with the 17 yr cicadas dropping into the pond - thru 3 nets - and dying & fouling the water. I'm in Newark, DE

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome,
seems there's a pocket of ponders in your area . well area as in not 200 miles away . Your green water is of concern as the hyacinths blocking the light and taking nutrients should take care of green water. but like you said the cicadas may have something to do with it . but no filter may just be at the end of the ponds ability to take care of it's self without a filter . How big is the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think about 850 gallons. It's 3 feet deep at the deep end - 1" deep at the shallow - and about 6' x 10'. I didn't realize that the hyacinths took UP so much water that it would lower the water level in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would advise removing some of the hyacinths immediately. You don't want to completely cover the surface of your pond - you'll have the same issue we have here in the north when ponds ice over. Your fish could suffocate.

And all plants take up water and then release it into the atmosphere. When scientists do moisture measurements over the US they can "see" the corn breathing all across the midwest from a satellite view. But you're not alone in being surprised at how MUCH water pond plants take up. But think of a vase of flowers - those plants, which are essentially dead, will drain a vase in a few days time.

I am confused by your title though - you never mentioned rain, let along MEGA RAIN.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would advise removing some of the hyacinths immediately. You don't want to completely cover the surface of your pond - you'll have the same issue we have here in the north when ponds ice over. Your fish could suffocate.

And all plants take up water and then release it into the atmosphere. When scientists do moisture measurements over the US they can "see" the corn breathing all across the midwest from a satellite view. But you're not alone in being surprised at how MUCH water pond plants take up. But think of a vase of flowers - those plants, which are essentially dead, will drain a vase in a few days time.

I am confused by your title though - you never mentioned rain, let along MEGA RAIN.
We have had HUGE rainstorms lately. We got part of Hurricane Ida and now our neighbor's rotten tree broke some huge branches, some of which fell against our NEW stockade fence, removing one plank, and a big branch fell into our pond, breaking a little pond decoration (boy fishing) that has been there for 20 years. I have removed at least half of the water hyacinths - and now the water HAS to get clearer - it is terrible. I don't even know what my fish situation is. Both large potted plants were knocked down. Aerators (2) are still working.

Ask a Question