Melafix

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is everyone's thoughts/experiences using melafix in the pond for tail/fin rot? If you used it how did you use it? Positive results? I've had it suggested to me this product works great but then having read reviews some says it doesn't work at all. Also the bottle is very vague about how to use it. Do you do water exchanges every couple of days ect. Thank you!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used it one time years ago for fish I got from a pond I took apart and had in a stock tank and it did nothing .There is better stuff out there ,I had better luck with aquascapes stuff and dr foster and smith meds .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used it one time years ago for fish I got from a pond I took apart and had in a stock tank and it did nothing .There is better stuff out there ,I had better luck with aquascapes stuff and dr foster and smith meds .
Thank you!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was told last year various things about using Melafix and Pimafix. I had 5 fish that had sever tail and fin rot. I used the combo for the 7 days recommended as well as water changes every 3 days. All fish survived and have regrown fins and tails. Good water quality is the best treatment but IMO the treatments helped.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told last year various things about using Melafix and Pimafix. I had 5 fish that had sever tail and fin rot. I used the combo for the 7 days recommended as well as water changes every 3 days. All fish survived and have regrown fins and tails. Good water quality is the best treatment but IMO the treatments helped.
I did the same things earlier in my pond keeping experience ,water changes are what had the desired effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did the same things earlier in my pond keeping experience ,water changes are what had the desired effect.
When you did your water changes and added the stress coat/de chlorinator did you also add the melafix and pimafix all at the same time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have never found melafix to help heal anything quicker than good old clean water. Good filtration and frequent water changes are essential for healing fish.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah seeing as how melaluka oil is just that,oil then it's not gonna mix in with the water anyway. It's funny how those who don't advocate frequent water changes WILL advocate adding a chemical. Tail rot and other such ailments are usually not seen in properly stocked ponds with a good water change regimen . To Jodie, when I was using Melafix years back I was dosing it per it's directions.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's funny how those who don't advocate frequent water changes WILL advocate adding a chemical

I don't advocate water changes and I certainly don't advocate the indiscriminate use of pond treatment, mechanical or chemical.
Melafix does indeed contain melaleuca oil. This is an organic, naturally occurring substance not a manufactured chemical such as Stress Coat et. al.. \ Melafix naturally breaks down and
has absolutely no adverse side effects to other non-pathogenic aquatic organisms.
Again, I don't advocate the use of any intrusive pond treatment, but if a person is determined to use one, use the least harmful to the eco-system. Melafix (and/or Pimafix) is just that.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using nothing at all but a good water change does more help then anything. There are precious few garden ponds that are eco self sufficient,water changes are a requirement.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am of the feeling that if your fish have fin/tail rot (which quite often occurs from poor water quality) then the best treatment is increased water changes. Really no need for medication unless the rot is already very advanced then an antibiotic (along with water changes) would be more appropriate. I personally don't feel you would hurt your fish by using the Melafix but I also don't think it will really be of much help.

Ask a Question