Melafix

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't mean to start a disagreement. I prefer to stay away from any type of chemicals that may hurt my little pond. I was told the melafix would help my little koi and can be used in my pond and not hurt my other little koi that isn't sick and was more of a natural treatment. I'm fairly new to ponding and this is the first sick fish I've had. I was trying to go as natural and as safe of a rout as possible. I'm limited on what is accessible in my area and funds. I wanted others input on the directions of the use of the melafix. The directions on the bottle says nothing about water changes. So I was trying to determine by others experiences if that was suppose to be done or not. Also if there was any hope as to rather it actually worked or not. Thank you for everyone's help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No problems here Jodie :) Everyone has their own opinion and experience with ponds and fish keeping.

If your looking for a cheap way to treat your pond for fin/tail rot then water changes are the way to go (don't forget water conditioner/dechlor)

Personally I always do water changes during any kind of treatments for my fish.

On a side note, You mention you have a little pond. Any idea what size it is in gallons? You really need to know that when dosing with any type of medication.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Jodie,
Is this the same little koi you were concerned about earlier, attributing it's lethargy to possibly untreated water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's a 125 gallon preform. It's really small. I know in time I will have to re home my little guys. I only have the two koi. They might be 7 inches at the most right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes Tula it is. He finally stopped his nose diving. I was able to get a really good look at him when I had to put both koi into a make shift container. My pond somehow rather thru animal fault or whatever decided to drain all but about a fourth of the water. So with the mishap I was able to do a good clean out. Add water WITH stress coat and de chlorinator. Even waited a day and a half before putting them back into the pond. I did notice the other koi was nipping at his fins. So with all that the little guy has been thru his fins now appear to have fin rot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thank you everyone for trying to help. My little koi died today.

Sorry to hear, Jodie.:(

It would be nice if the people that advocate water changes would explain why water changes are a good idea, and not simply stop answering when pressed for further reasoning.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I always press for water changes. To the OP,sorry about your fish. Whether we agree on the specific methods or not we all care about our fish as well as our forum mates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for trying to help. My little koi died today.

Awww, I'm sorry about your little guy. Ponding can be challenging, but if you enjoy it, stick with it and soon it'll be second nature. If you think about replacing the fish you lost, you might consider shubunkin, very pretty and easier care, than koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Awww, I'm sorry about your little guy. Ponding can be challenging, but if you enjoy it, stick with it and soon it'll be second nature. If you think about replacing the fish you lost, you might consider shubunkin, very pretty and easier care, than koi.
Are they able to over winter in the pond?

Ask a Question