Mesh bag for pond pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looking for ideas or specific suggestions for a mesh bag to help prevent debris from clogging the holes in my pump. If I had a mesh bag over the pump I think it would be much easier to remove accumulated debris. It's a hassle to remove the debris. I have to pull it off and poke the holes to clean them out. The pump is a Tetrapond DHP3600 debris handling, but the holes clog and greatly diminish the flow.
Thanks,
Joe

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought a mesh bag from Home Depot — in their pond section — designed to hold a pump. It’s a sturdy mesh and has a draw string closure. My pump is a 3600 GPH Total Pond waterfall pump and the bag works very well. Is this what you are talking about?

35A325E1-E10B-4EA1-9A8B-A4FA07C3EED8.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I bought a mesh bag from Home Depot — in their pond section — designed to hold a pump. It’s a sturdy mesh and has a draw string closure. My pump is a 3600 GPH Total Pond waterfall pump and the bag works very well. Is this what you are talking about?

View attachment 111050

Yes, that would be perfect. Approximately what size are the holes? Small enough to catch a lot of debris I assume. I've seen them on Amazon but they never state the size of the holes so I've been hesitant to purchase.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@poconojoe Oh, I have no idea how big the holes are! I’ve had the pump in this bag for over a year and there’s never been an issue with debris getting through and bothering the pump. And, the bag, while covered with algae, has never clogged. It’s done a perfect job of being a “pre-filter.” I hope that helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe Oh, I have no idea how big the holes are! I’ve had the pump in this bag for over a year and there’s never been an issue with debris getting through and bothering the pump. And, the bag, while covered with algae, has never clogged. It’s done a perfect job of being a “pre-filter.” I hope that helps.
Thanks for the input. Sounds just like what I need!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

View attachment 111050
How are these bags working for you? I ordered 6 for my pumps and they slowed the waterflow within a few hours! The material is really too soft. I see the website says items vary so maybe I got a bad batch. Called Home Depot and they issued a full refund and told me to just throw the bags away! Totally shocked!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@mrsclem The one I am using is doing well, not clogged, even though it’s growing a nice algae blanket. BUT! I noticed something...... I found another sack a few weeks back — I think it was one that came with a pump, but I had never used the sack. The one that I purchased separately and is the one on my main pump is a stiffer “fabric,” more plastic-like than cloth-like. The 2nd one that I found is a more flimsy mesh — more like what you see used in laundry bags (lingerie bags). I’m positive that the stiffness of the mesh makes a difference, because the one I’m currently using can’t collapse onto the pump, whereas the more flimsy one certainly would.

Since HD carries pretty much all the same products, I’m not sure how you would be able to tell one from the other just by peering into the packaging, but there is a definite difference between the 2. The particular one that I bought as a separate sack is stiffer than the one that came included with a pump.

Hope this helps!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's what I figured. The material is like window screen material and got sucked up against the intake. At least I got my money back! Back to using 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's what I figured. The material is like window screen material and got sucked up against the intake. At least I got my money back! Back to using 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled.
And at least I now know to watch out for the flimsy sacks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was also shocked to see that there were no closures for the bags. Usually there is a slide button to hold the bag closed.

Ask a Question