Metal and ponds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read ponds shouldn't utilize copper, brass, etc. I want to end up with a water fall consisting of large leaf shaped pieces (20" down to 8" diameter), maybe 3 feet high overall. Copper would be easiest but? Do i have to use concrete?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Everything I have ever read says copper is toxic to fish and shouldn’t be used in ponds...so I accepted this info as fact. That is the extent of my knowledge. Sorry.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Found this. It goes into chemistry, which isn’t my strong area.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How about using stainless steel as it's safe for fish.

1592250881705.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep a 5 ft reef tank and copper is a defo no-no as it kills small crustaceans, crabs, nems and becomes very toxic. I assume the same will be done in a pond of any size.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think modern galvanizing is different and not harmful. You will find a lot of people use galvanized stock tanks for ponds with great success. It wouldn't be my first choice (just not my preference) but I know it has been done many times before. Stainless should be fine as well

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe a small amount of anything in a large pond would not be a problem a lot of copper with a small pond could be an issue as the copper can kill critters, plants and such. Aquascapes sells the ion generators it's copper probes electrified adding copper to the water which helps deter algae. I used Coral rock due to it's shapes on my planted tank which everyone said absolutely not and it worked out just fine my avatar to the left is testament to it had no effect on the tank. Do i think water dropping from one leaf to another will be an issue for a pond no. Let me put it to you this way 3/4 of the homes in america have city water and they keep aquariums left and right. all that water has come through a copper pipe it has sat in copper pipes. would i make a pond out of copper and stick my fish in it NOPE

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think modern galvanizing is different and not harmful. You will find a lot of people use galvanized stock tanks for ponds with great success. It wouldn't be my first choice (just not my preference) but I know it has been done many times before. Stainless should be fine as well

Galvanized is still the same it uses zinc which is toxic to fish in high quantities, ie leaching into the water that a stock tank is made of will do it. In the past most that come on here that are using galvanized stock tanks have trouble keeping their fish alive, wouldn’t use it when there are safer alternatives.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is interesting, thanks for sharing. I've seen a bunch of builds on line that look really nice and have a neighbor with one with goldfish and I believe he has had it at least for a few seasons. Was going to make one myself but it sounds like maybe it is not worth the risk?

Ask a Question