Metal in pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I would like to use some metal brackets to hold plant baskets on my waterfall. Will this work or cause more problems than its worth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not sure, but I think it would depend on the metal.
Please elaborate on what metal.
Obviously lead would be bad, but I also think galvanized would be bad too due to the zinc. Maybe if it rusts it would be bad? Maybe the best material would be stainless steel.
Let's wait for the experts to chime in...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm curious too, how you plan to use them. Will them be submerged? Water splashing on them? Why not just plant right in the waterfall? (Obviously I haven't seen your set up - it might be obvious!)

We did have one member ask about problems with a tuba in the pond - his fish were dying, and apparently brass instruments are made with zinc, so that was a no-no. The type of metal definitely matters!

Reaction score
Stainless is fine and won’t corrode. Don’t know what you are doing exactly but besides brackets you could also get stainless wire and get crafty

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm curious too, how you plan to use them. Will them be submerged? Water splashing on them? Why not just plant right in the waterfall? (Obviously I haven't seen your set up - it might be obvious!)

We did have one member ask about problems with a tuba in the pond - his fish were dying, and apparently brass instruments are made with zinc, so that was a no-no. The type of metal definitely matters!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The water would just be splashing on it, the plants would be in a little pot. I think the water would just wash the plant out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can definitely plant directly in the waterfall - I mean, not IN the actual gush of the falls, but at the edges in the water.

Ask a Question