METAL IN PONDS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Back when I had aquariums, I recall reading that you shouldn't have metal objects in the tank. Don't recall why (chemical reactions that could be toxic, maybe?), though. Can you enlighten me?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I recall reading years ago (when I had aquariums) that many of the Rift Lake fish are attracted to rusted steel. In an aquarium, Synodontis catfish will do better if provided with an old horseshoe or other iron scrap, and will pick at it frequently. Perhaps it fulfills some dietary need? I don't believe a small amount of rusty iron or steel in the pond would be a problem.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I hope you are right John cuz I just noticed yesterday while messing w/ a fountain pump that I had a screw on a clamp band that was rusty and was wondering about that. I thought it was stainless when I put it in place but guess not.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The bands on those clamps are stainless, but unless you get the (more expensive) ones marked as SS, the bolts WILL rust.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well that's what I have evidently and was hoping they would be ok. Only have the one in the pond and pond is 2500gals so should be ok. Iron builds strong bones right or is it good blood?

sequoiafish

The wierder the better
Reaction score
rust is iron oxide and unless the fish are bathed in it. it is safe and yes it is a necessary trace mineral required in most animals to make blood and tissues.

lead and mercury are what i would be worried getting into my pond.

Ask a Question