Michaels lotus seeds

Reaction score
I have bought some lotus seeds from a flower arrangement that I bought at Michaels craft store. Has anyone had success with these seeds before, and if so, what type of species of lotus are they. I thought think that they would be American water lotuses but it dose not seem to suggest a species on the tag. Would love to hear feedback!

All The Best!

Boris

Reaction score
I have tried with the lotus seed from hobby lobby. I can get them as far as having 2 small leaf branches, but then they seem to rot and die before the leaves even open. Hopefully you have better luck!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have tied several times with them. Last year I had 40 seedling going and then the deer found them. None survived the winter. These are imported from China.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They may not be cold hardy .You can get seeds on ebay really cheap and they will tell you what kind they are .

Reaction score
I think I'll try to put them through dormancy in my garage. It is cold but not too cold, it hovers around 10C in there. I have tried these seeds before but they grew faster then I expected and I did not have the proper supplies to keep them. I hope that I have better luck this time!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine in my kitchen window .
101_1137.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@sissy -- now that they have sprouted, what is the next step? I have a seed head in my pond, and I thought it would be fun to see if the seeds will grow. Do they grow just in water, on top of mud? Like they would if they fell out of the pod into a pond? I wonder how long it will take them to become tubers?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have always grown mine in water as you can see it benefits greatly from the pond water I use .I change the water out in it 2 times a week .I try to not use well water, only pond water .

Ask a Question