Michiganders

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I still have not seen any of my fish other than the two floaters I found last month. Is this normal? I'm assuming they are hiding out in the deep end and I just can't see them. Shouldn't they be awake from winter by now and eating again? I throw in a few pellets and eventually they sink. Should I get the net out and stir things up?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your fish should be moving around by now. As far as eating, mine are not eating yet by my choice, they are all moving good and very visible. I just am not feeding yet with the inconsistent temps. I would not keep throwing food in and have it sink, that may not help things. Also stirring them up with the net could be more of a stress to them if they are still hiding or a bigger issue is going on. Having floaters is not normal at all. Usually a issue of some kind. I would check on the water quality and be sure all is good. If they are just hiding, they will come out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree with @RobAmy , your fish should be visible and swimming by now. If it were my pond, I'd stop feeding and carefully check the pond and skimmer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I still have not seen any of my fish other than the two floaters I found last month. Is this normal? I'm assuming they are hiding out in the deep end and I just can't see them. Shouldn't they be awake from winter by now and eating again? I throw in a few pellets and eventually they sink. Should I get the net out and stir things up?

I'm in Michigan too, my fish have been active and eating for some time now.
If I were you I'd start looking around for signs of life, drain some of the water if visibility is too low

Good luck @AngelaM , hope your fish turn out ok!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm in Michigan too, my fish have been active and eating for some time now.
If I were you I'd start looking around for signs of life, drain some of the water if visibility is too low

Good luck @AngelaM , hope your fish turn out ok!

Hi Gemma, I'd have to drain half the water to see them in the deep end. Have you turned on your pump and waterfall already? I haven't done anything yet. Hubby wanted to wait because to be sure winter was finally over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your fish should be moving around by now. As far as eating, mine are not eating yet by my choice, they are all moving good and very visible. I just am not feeding yet with the inconsistent temps. I would not keep throwing food in and have it sink, that may not help things. Also stirring them up with the net could be more of a stress to them if they are still hiding or a bigger issue is going on. Having floaters is not normal at all. Usually a issue of some kind. I would check on the water quality and be sure all is good. If they are just hiding, they will come out.

Water quality is good. It's just dirty. The two fish I lost this winter I'm certain was an oxygen issue. I used the pond breather but no areator per the manufacture claims. I do believe I should have used an aerator along with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you do find some dead fish, have a look at their gills for signs of redness.
That could be a sign of ammonia poisoning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Gemma, I'd have to drain half the water to see them in the deep end. Have you turned on your pump and waterfall already? I haven't done anything yet. Hubby wanted to wait because to be sure winter was finally over.

Hi :)
My waterfall has been running all winter other than a few weeks when the ice was too thick. I don't stop running my system in the winter, unless I really have to, because the pump struggles.
My fish started moving around and going after the algae on the walls, when the temps hit mid to upper 30s, so it's been a while, I think yours should've shown some activity by now, especially after the heat spell we just had.

Is your pond covered or could your fish have been taken out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you do find some dead fish, have a look at their gills for signs of redness.
That could be a sign of ammonia poisoning.

They didn't have any redness or injury at all Mitch. Ammonia levels also test very low.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi :)
My waterfall has been running all winter other than a few weeks when the ice was too thick. I don't stop running my system in the winter, unless I really have to, because the pump struggles.
My fish started moving around and going after the algae on the walls, when the temps hit mid to upper 30s, so it's been a while, I think yours should've shown some activity by now, especially after the heat spell we just had.

Is your pond covered or could your fish have been taken out?

The pond was covered all winter only because I didn't take my net off like I should have. I am sure they're down there swimming around. I just can't see them. The water is too murky.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I had your pond, and no sign of life yet, I would drain it and start over!
Crossing my fingers for your fish to be safe!
smpraying.gif

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would turn on your pump and get filtration going. I started my pump April 1. My water was starting to get cloudy and once the pump was in, a couple of days later the water was clear. Also for some reason, once I start my pump my fish become more active.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you're not in danger of freezing, I would turn on filter and pump. Filters always have some bacteria in them to help clear up ammonia, they just don't have as much when its very cold.

Ask a Question