Microbe

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone uses microbe-lift autumn/ winter prep in there ponds as i was thinking of trying it, or does anyone use anything else over the winter months ?
panicing a little as my babies are still so small !

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I personally see no value in these types of products. The bio system will have much less activity during the winter and in the spring it will ramp up to meet the demand.
To me, this is falls into the category of snake oil.

We need to get you set up with an Avatar, you are in the top 10 posters now. Have you given any though about having one?

Reaction score
i confess I've never used these micro-lift products either! Hear lots about them, and some folks seem to swear by 'em, but I have not gotten into them.

I just toss in a bit of salt right before I close down so a thick slime coat develops on the fish and that's it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think this is like the enzyme stuff they try to sell people with septic systems. The people who service these systems, are the first to debunk them. Mother nature is the best chemical there is.

I think we have an RO system at work. When I go back in January, I will measure the water there and see what the readings are. I think I will get some distilled water and measure it next.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont know how much of a difference they made but, we lived in the country for years, had a septic feild and well water, and we used the bacterial additives. that said, if you think about it, who stands to gain the most from debunking these products? the guys who will have less business, pumping out, cleaning and repairing the systems because of them!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They don't make any more or less money if you have your septic tanks pumped every 5 years as recommended. In fact, I went 11 years on mine and never added anything.
The only thing that goes to the drain field, unless you have bigger problems is the black water, no solids ever go there. My drain field uses Infiltrators, which are heavy ABS costruction, nothing to deteriorate. No one near here with well water.
It costs the same to have it pumped, no matter how much is in there or what chemicals have been added.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have used the micro lift products in the past...I real don't know one way or the other if it helped. A good filter will do a whole lot of good for a pond and save you $$$

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can you share pictures of the hunting shack....??? How is it going?
To my personal email if you don't want to post them here.

Ask a Question