microscope help

Reaction score
1. I am looking to purchase a microscope - dont want to spend TOO much money - but want to be prepared...
Is this a suitable microscope for inspecting scrapes from pond fish?
http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-441...TF8&qid=1394633973&sr=1-3&keywords=microscope

I do have some flashing on SOME of the fish - so i am thinking of getting this soon.
Any ideas of finding one in a local/brick mortar store instead of shipping from online?

2. Do i need to be thinking about treatments at the same time - broad spectrum type that might cause flashing?

Reaction score
jmajid,

I really don't know what good quality scopes go for any more. The only one I ever bought was a second hand model back in the late 70's and it was about $40. That was so long ago. I'd have to say that for the price tag, this may be a good buy even if it is not high quality merchandise. It ought to get the job done for you, but I can't say if you could get a much better deal on another and better make/model from another seller.

Gordy

Reaction score
catfishnut: thanks - i guess my question is more of "is this a suitable microscope"?
magnification seems suitable - but i wonder if the light sources are correct?

Reaction score
catfishnut: thanks - i guess my question is more of "is this a suitable microscope"?
magnification seems suitable - but i wonder if the light sources are correct?

I was questioning that myself as I didn't notice that they specified anything about the underscope lighting. Although It appears from the pix that it does have a light source attached to the base.

For the price, I don't think you can lose anything on it. The one that I mentioned I bought back in the late 70's only had a mirror.

As for finding one in a "brick and mortar" shop... I would be suprised of that. Seems that specialty items such as this are not stocked in many shops today. I am not from a large city where stores might cover these things, so I may be wrong, but it seems most of these items are bought on the net anymore. Too much expense to run a shop that carries these items around here anyways.

Gordy

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Jmajid; See if you can find an astronomy outlet in Houston. Besides telescopes, these places usually carry microscopes and other optical devices as well, and will have personel who can help you make a choice.
John

Reaction score
thanks to the both of you -
looking at some posts here on GF it appears that the 60x magnification is minimum... top/side and bottom lighting preferred?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
May I refare you to this thread I didaboutthis very subject some time ago :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/microscopes-and-scrapes.11108/

It should help you in deciding thetype of micoscope you want to buy .
Try tomake sure that it has an occular like our own so you can build up a data base of any parasites you come across on your PC.
This as a matte of interest is our third microscope so it pays to buy the right one first time around .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It pays to buy the right microscope first time around weare on or third so please check out the thread I did about this very subject a while back now :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/microscopes-and-scrapes.11108/

If you make sure your microscope is PC friendly (ours has an occular that connects us up to our laptop).
Then you can put together your own data base of parasites should and when you find them.

Dave

Ask a Question