Microscopic Pond Life

Reaction score
Stumbled across this old timers homemade videos of microscopic pond life.The clarity of the videos is amazing for a homemade setup, and I admire the old guys ingenuity and enthusiasm. Make sure the youtube video settings are set to HD to get the best video clarity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is awesome! Makes me long for a microscope/camera hook up of my own to play around with. I would love to see how things change from season to season and in different areas of the pond. Very cool! Thanks for sharing @Mucky_Waters

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So if a garden pond is started from tap water, how many of those organisms do you think it would have? In other words, where the heck do they all come from?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
So if a garden pond is started from tap water, how many of those organisms do you think it would have? In other words, where the heck do they all come from?
In no particular order; atmospheric dust, fish, plants, birds, bugs, precipitation.
One of the great things about an outdoor pond.
Even better, when first setting up a pond, take a scoop of mud and water from a local healthy waterway and introduce it into the new pond.
Depending on the tap water quality, tap water may be lifeless.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So neat!

My dad used to have us collect pond water, we would then use the microscope to look at all the neat critters that was in it. We would keep a bottle of it on the window ledge and watch as it changed.

Always nice and green!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What really got my attention was at the beginning of the second video when he was collecting the samples. These samples were collected from common pond weed by his own admission.
Anyone who allows even a small amount of pond weed to flourish in their pond has my deepest admiration. This aquatic plant species, though rampantly invasive, is one of the foremost sites of mini-habitats for myriad micro- and meio- aquatic creatures as evidenced by the videos.
This gentleman is most definitely a true ponder.

Ask a Question