Mid winter ice melt and active fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i'm in michigan and winter will be around for a couple more months.
it's been in the forties a bit and i'm surprised to see the goldfish
alert and active. the water is 43 degrees (5.9C) this morning.
i bet they're hungry, though i'm feeling that feeding them is not a good idea at this time.
i am adding some water to the pond today from the well. slowly...
i'm feeling a little fresh water would be good.
i've been using a pond breather this winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They'll find plenty to snack on in the water to keep them happy until spring rolls around. This is quite the winter we've been having here in the midwest, is it not?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Definitely global warming impact. This winter has been very mild. Maybe feb will be different.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My fish too got to swim around for a few days last week, long enough for me to see that they are all alive, and hopefully well...now the cold is back and I can see them all gathered together at the bottom again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
My fish were very active last week, too, on those warm days. They've retreated back underneath the stone plank in the center of the pond. They were nibbling on what was left of the algae alongside the edges of the pond last week, which is what they will do until around mid-April when they start coming to the edge of the pond looking for food from me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My herd swam out to see me when I walked by the pond looking for food. I ignored them...............lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My herd swam out to see me when I walked by the pond looking for food. I ignored them...............lol

you must have a warmer pond. Mine are all huddled at the bottom now. Bubble eyes and celestials included.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wonder if our fish think that we regulate the weather too
...in that case, mine are all sitting at the bottom of the pond, swearing at me :ROFLMAO:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
indeed...you expect me to believe that? lol
With our temperature bouncing between 60 plus and the teens the pond is bouncing up and down. No ice for weeks now, the herd thinks it is almost summer. They have plenty of stuff to live off in the pond.

I do a good job ignoring them, we are too busy fixing up another rental for tenants moving in on Saturday. Since we have been home I walked by the pond once. Checked the bees twice ow we have been working.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With our temperature bouncing between 60 plus and the teens the pond is bouncing up and down. No ice for weeks now, the herd thinks it is almost summer. They have plenty of stuff to live off in the pond.

I do a good job ignoring them, we are too busy fixing up another rental for tenants moving in on Saturday. Since we have been home I walked by the pond once. Checked the bees twice ow we have been working.

lol. you're stronger than i am. how are the bees?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are doing fine, so far. If we make it through March we will have 100% survival. We have had to feed them twice this winter, put more sugar blocks on when we got home. It is too darn warm, they are flying and looking for food that does not exist out there. They then come home and eat up their winter stores, more than they would do normally.

My pond, even mid summer, was built in such a way it can be totally ignored. The fish do what fish do, eat swim live, the plants take more time i.e. grooming lilies, purging bog plants when they are over grow

Ask a Question