Middle Tennessee pond repair

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Any Middle Tennesseans out there? We had some terrible storms a couple weeks back, and a microburst picked up a huge hackberry tree and slammed it onto our backyard. We were overall very lucky that it didn't kill our chickens or damage our house or the neighboring business — just our deck, fence, garden bed and waterfall suffered damage. And then, the guy who came to remove the tree STOOD on the waterfall. I nearly lost my mind when I went out there! He also let a big piece of tree fall right in the pond, but that does not seem to have caused any damage, and it is not leaking.

We built the pond ourselves two years ago and are so proud of it, but we just don't have the time or really ability to fix this ourselves. We're having some trouble getting called back from some water feature builders, and the only one who did quoted us $2500. Seems pretty steep, considering the rest of the pond is in very good shape. We do need to get it going again soon. We're using a temporary aerator to get oxygen to the fish. It clogs overnight. If you happen to know of any trustworthy builders, please let me know.

My husband made a video.

Attachments

• pond damange 2.jpg
    pond damange 2.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 230
  • pond damage.jpeg
    pond damage.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We had a tree blow down in high winds a few years ago. It landed across the pond, crushing my new shower filter I'd bought from Deep Water Koi :( Our insurance deductible was about the price of the filter, so we didn't submit it to insurance.

If you filed an insurance claim for the other damage, could you include the pond repair?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know you mentioned that you don't have much time, but as you mentioned that you built the pond yourselves, I am confident you have the ability. You could replace your filter falls in a matter of minutes, and rearrange your rocks, foaming them in if needed, in an hour or so. As your husband mentioned in the video, you were thinking about going with a single drop waterfall and making room to walk around. Repairing this damage could give you the opportunity to do that and wouldn't take terribly long either. Even if you had to work at in in stages to arrange your stones and wait for foam to dry. Overall its an easy fix. I'd stay away from contractors totally. This fix should only cost the price of a new filter falls and maybe a can of foam waterfall sealant. Good luck with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with @Somethin' Fishy - you built a nice pond, you can re-do it yourself. And while $2500 does seem like a lot, it's kind of par for the course. Contractors - in all professions - need to make a certain amount to make a job worth their time. Plus most pros would shy away from a pond - or any project, really - started by someone else for fear of what other issues may pop up or who is ultimately responsible for the work.

Anyway - I don't think it will be that daunting once you start pulling things apart. Post photos and we can all chime in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We had a tree blow down in high winds a few years ago. It landed across the pond, crushing my new shower filter I'd bought from Deep Water Koi :( Our insurance deductible was about the price of the filter, so we didn't submit it to insurance.

If you filed an insurance claim for the other damage, could you include the pond repair?
We’re hoping they’ll help. Thing is, they couldn’t give us a quote on the pond because they didn’t know what it would cost. They said to submit it after all our other repairs are made ($5500 worth of damage total. Our deductible is $1000.) So we’re in an odd spot of wanting and needing to fix this first but without a guarantee of how much it will be covered.

I’m sorry about your tree damage!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know you mentioned that you don't have much time, but as you mentioned that you built the pond yourselves, I am confident you have the ability. You could replace your filter falls in a matter of minutes, and rearrange your rocks, foaming them in if needed, in an hour or so. As your husband mentioned in the video, you were thinking about going with a single drop waterfall and making room to walk around. Repairing this damage could give you the opportunity to do that and wouldn't take terribly long either. Even if you had to work at in in stages to arrange your stones and wait for foam to dry. Overall its an easy fix. I'd stay away from contractors totally. This fix should only cost the price of a new filter falls and maybe a can of foam waterfall sealant. Good luck with it.

Hmm. I am just so worried that we’ll
I'm with @Somethin' Fishy - you built a nice pond, you can re-do it yourself. And while $2500 does seem like a lot, it's kind of par for the course. Contractors - in all professions - need to make a certain amount to make a job worth their time. Plus most pros would shy away from a pond - or any project, really - started by someone else for fear of what other issues may pop up or who is ultimately responsible for the work.

Anyway - I don't think it will be that daunting once you start pulling things apart. Post photos and we can all chime in!

OK, y’all are making me feel more confident. I do have the Pond Builder’s Bible on my computer. I just feel like we need a blueprint for making it! Thanks, all.

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any Middle Tennesseans out there?

I see that I'm a couple of months late to the party, but the people at Emerald Bay in Old Hickory recommended Bob Snyder for pond maintenance and repair; 615-654-3799

I've not used Bob's services but I trust the guys at Emerald Bay.

You folks live on the West side? I've got plants to divide and trade!

Ask a Question